Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

tko in a 66

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM
66fstbk88
1st Gear Member

Default tko in a 66

tranny shop called and said i better come in to see how the T5 is lookin.. went to take a look at it and ****!! was it a mess..2,3,5 gear have no teeth and the mainshaft was warped
ing to stay away from surgery sooo im trying to see what options i have?
maybe an built T5 or will a TKO slip right in?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

what kind of motor is in your car? what kind of trans did you have in there before?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Ouch. What kind of motor do you have sitting in front of it?

A TKO conversion is possible, but definitely not a bolt-in for a '66. It will require some creative relocation of the tunnel to fit. There is a company (one of the site sponsors) that offers TKO's with specially modified cases to help fit under classic tunnels, but I can't remember the name of it atm.

The other option is a beefed up T5. I don't recommend G-Force setups anymore, ever since Modern Driveline stopped using them due to some quality control issues. Astroperformance has a similar kit, though, and supposedly will handle quite a bit of power.

Take a look at the classifieds here. Fox body guys are always wrecking cars and selling good used transmissions:P Even if you have to do a little bit of finaggling with a TKO, saving $1k on the initial purchase may even things out for you.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

I have the TKO 500 in my 66.
Picked it up from Keisler and it is worth the cash but I had them send me everything from the flywheel back to the 1330 ujoint. Speck clutch kit, hydro clutch setup, quicktime performance bell housing and driveshaft.

the shifter does come out in the factory hole but it is a close fit.

The trans has the low 1st gear and I think the .68 overdrive so my 325 posi feels and gets out of the hole like a 410.

NOT CHEAP think I have 6k in the kit but you can get just the trans a lot cheaper.
I will say well worth the cash the system works smoother and has a better feel than my brothers factory ws6 T/A does.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
A TKO conversion is possible, but definitely not a bolt-in for a '66. It will require some creative relocation of the tunnel to fit. There is a company (one of the site sponsors) that offers TKO's with specially modified cases to help fit under classic tunnels, but I can't remember the name of it atm.
It was http://www.americanpowertrain.com/

They have modified TKO's that will slip in, I think you just have to shave off a little of the support on the tunnel. Call Gray over there, and he will set you up.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Interesting, cman, considering TKO's are essentially tricked out Toploaders. I've driven a WS6 T/A with a Pro 5.0, and I don't know how it can get much smoother than that, especially at high rpm's. TKO's still use dog-rings, iirc, which don't really like high rpm shifting.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

That is the one downside of a TKO. The higher the rpm, the notchier the shifting becomes. I put one in my 66, but I raised the tunnel 1 1/2" and made a custom tranny mount. It fits well and the drivshaft angle looks good. That is a much cheaper approach than $6k! I should drive it this weekend for the first time (first start tomorrow)!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
66fstbk88
1st Gear Member

i have a well built 351w
any recomendations on where to look for beefed up t5?
Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That same classified link I posted. Lots of fox guys run beefed up T5's as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 66fstbk88
i have a well built 351w
any recomendations on where to look for beefed up t5?
http://www.levyracing.com/performanceparts/index.html

Tell Gordon that Mark Reid sent you.

Quick Reply: tko in a 66