Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cowl Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cowl Repair Question

Cowls leak on 99% of mustangs out there.

Luckly for me I live in texas, so my car isnt too rusted. All I ever get is a couple drops on the floor mat if it rains real super hard, or If I stick and hose in my cowl.

Anyone tried the cowl repair kit that includes plastic hats and silicone?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

Never tried the kit. I fortunately know a stang guy who helped me out with the cowl on my car. For materials, and the cost to rent a welder I paid total about $115, but a shop will charge you alot more.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stangrr66

Never tried the kit. I fortunately know a stang guy who helped me out with the cowl on my car. For materials, and the cost to rent a welder I paid total about $115, but a shop will charge you alot more.
Yeah, about 80 bux an hour for labor alone. Just take it to a mustang restoration shop and have them give you an estimate.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I believe i got the only mustang that cowl doesn't leak, and doesn't overheat stock. Well, it does leak, but not from the cowl, it's leaking from where someone left out some access plugs on the inner fender. I got to plug them back up and then im dry as a baby's bottom
Old 06-16-2005, 02:15 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

Thats probably why cowl wasnt all that bad either, I live in College Station, but i could tell someone tried to fix it before, because there was sealant foam stuff everywhere.
ORIGINAL: nualln

Cowls leak on 99% of mustangs out there.

Luckly for me I live in texas, so my car isnt too rusted. All I ever get is a couple drops on the floor mat if it rains real super hard, or If I stick and hose in my cowl.

Anyone tried the cowl repair kit that includes plastic hats and silicone?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There is only one way to do it right for a permanent fix. And that's the hard way. All these snake oil methods will just prolong the problem.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

I found out originally that the cowl leaked, because the floorboards were rusted really badly, and someone prior to me had tried laying about 1/2 of fiberglass to cover the floor, it didnt seem to work very well. Dont quite know what they were thinking.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stangrr66

I found out originally that the cowl leaked, because the floorboards were rusted really badly, and someone prior to me had tried laying about 1/2 of fiberglass to cover the floor, it didnt seem to work very well. Dont quite know what they were thinking.
Fiberglas over rust. Now, there is one bright glowing in the dark person to do that. It simply amazes me to read time after time all the southern engineering that goes on with these cars. Doesn't anybody even research and read how to to it right?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:59 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

The fiberglass was literaly about 1/2 in thick, it took me about 3 hours to work all of it up. It sucked, and itched alot
Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

There is only one way to do it right for a permanent fix. And that's the hard way. All these snake oil methods will just prolong the problem.
In a perfect world, yes. But in an imperfect world, where I happen to reside, I cant always afford the expense that goes into taking apart 130 spotwelds and welding in new hats.

(poor college student)

Quick Reply: Cowl Repair Question