Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cowl Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Cowl Repair Question

I know this topic has been covered many times as this is a key area of problems with us classic stang owners.

My name is John and my mustang has a leaking cowl....

I have taken some preventive measures to help it from getting worse. I have read the other threads. from my investigation both inside and outside the car, it seems as though the "hats are fine, but the sheet metal looks like swis cheese. lots of little holes. I do not weld and do not have much experience with body work other than BONDO. And I want it done right. So I wanted to tak the stang to a few shops to get estimates.

Has anyone else had a shop do their cowl repair and what kind of price did you pay?

I am thinking about this for the fall or winter when I won't be driving it anyway.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cowl Repair Question

Sounds almost like a testimonial at an AA meeting. Seriously though, it's one of the hardest and most time consuming jobs we can do on our Mustangs, so don't be surprised if you have to pay a pretty penny. One of your hardest jobs will be to find someone who knows what they are doing, so that it is done right. Try to find a Mustang restoration place and ask a lot of questions. In the meantime, pull out that carpet and see what rust damage has been done. If no holes, then POR-15 the heck out of it. Put in some seam sealer, then prime and paint those floors. If you have holes, you may as well go ahead and replace the floor pans as well. Welcome to the pleasure of owning a vintage Mustang.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:41 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

Im going to have to agree with Soaring, fixing the cowl on a mustang is harder than hell, and it takes forever because there is so much involved. It needs to be done right the first time, so its worth spending the money.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM
67CarolinaCoupe

found this upon a google seach..... maybe it will help.

http://www.early-mustang.com/cowls.html
Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, there are many ways to do it, but is is really a PITA no matter how you do it. Good article though.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:37 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

That is a good article, the most time consuming part is drilling out the spot welds, and mustangs unfortunately are filled with them.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:23 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Sounds almost like a testimonial at an AA meeting. Seriously though, it's one of the hardest and most time consuming jobs we can do on our Mustangs, so don't be surprised if you have to pay a pretty penny. One of your hardest jobs will be to find someone who knows what they are doing, so that it is done right. Try to find a Mustang restoration place and ask a lot of questions. In the meantime, pull out that carpet and see what rust damage has been done. If no holes, then POR-15 the heck out of it. Put in some seam sealer, then prime and paint those floors. If you have holes, you may as well go ahead and replace the floor pans as well. Welcome to the pleasure of owning a vintage Mustang.
POR-15
I checked out the POR-15 site and that looks like some pretty good stuff!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

There are several rust encapsulating products on the market. We old Mustangers generally like a product that is readily available like POR-15, but there are many others out there. Here is one example. http://www.supertherm.net/RustGrip.pdf
Old 06-16-2005, 09:28 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, I had seen that article before, and Soaring the floors were replace by the PO. I was really hoping to hear if anyone had this done by a shop and what they charged.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
65_2plus2
2nd Gear Member

When it comes to those evil words "Cowl leak" we are all screwed, including my self.
Cheers[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

P.S. I'm lucker than most, I live in Arizona and rain is a strange word to me. What is it?

Quick Reply: Cowl Repair Question