Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what motor should i put in my 66 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 AM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

3 duces
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

How about a Merc AMG engine, or maybe a BMW M5/M6 V10? or werider still air cooled 911 porsche engine Air cooled mustang that would be unique.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

well i had one guy respond about the srt8 idea, thats really what im thinking of doing at this moment, anyone else want to throw in some advice, criticism, maybe anyone want to help out? lol

i think my best bet is what i said earlier and find a wrecked in the rear dodge charger srt8, then i would have motor, tranny, computer all right there, and what i dont use auction the good stuff on ebay and crush the rest of the car.

but clean it up real nice with some dress up kits, and things like that, and i am also looking at the sts rear mounted turbo if i do the srt8 motor.... well maybe any motor because like i said i like turbos, BUT heres the deal, i am thinking of running the exhaust out of the side like the eleanor kit, so would i still have enough room to run the exhaust back to where it lets out on the side and then cut it out both sides OR should i run it all the way to the back of the car install it there where there is more room then run the piping back up to the side exit which is alot more piping? and would be ALOT of piping considering there would be exhaust pipe all the way to the rear of the car, then back to the side exits and then the intake and intercooler piping running back as well, that may not even be possible, and i am wanting air ride on the car i dont want to set the car down at a show and ruin a bunch of the piping, but i dotn think it would get that low but just saying, but in a sense i could always raise the floor pan up a few inches and that would add a little bit of room for piping.... what do you guys think about this? enough room for piping to run all the way back then up to the side exits? or like i said before is there enough room at or just before the side exits just to install it there and run them out?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

In my opinion a Mustang needs the V8 rumble.

I would rather have a chevy motor in mine than an import motor. There are many choices though. You could put a mod motor in it. A unique choice would be an 1st gen Taurus SHO V6 motor. Another choice would be an 80's Mustang SVO engine. Its a turbo 2.3. There is someone on this forum or stangnet that is doing this.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 03-27-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:23 PM
FasterCat
1st Gear Member

Default Fun Ideas !

Really seems like you want to do something DIFFERENT !

Putting a Vee anything (8, 6, 12, or diesel) seems too much like what you started with.

The whole idea of making something Bad A$$, and which has never been done before is pretty cool.

So ... my thoughts ...

Natural Rotary, built to the gills, 12,000 rpm, over 300 HP easy
(or turbo it and go nuts)

Porsche anything (400 HP natural flat six anyone ? ) ....
(or turbo and go nuts again)
.... those guys that put Chevy v8s in Porsches are .... well ... I can't say ....

Any inline 4 (foreign or domestic) does seem really cheesy ...

The whole concept of having a much smaller motor with power similar to a built small block sure seems like a cool idea ... and having the sound of a built rotary or Porker motor in a Mustang sounds fun as heck !

Or .... (going against my Vee anything comment)
Flathead (Ford !) V8, built to the gills ....

Or .... Bond Two Suzuki Hayabusa Motors together for a 2.6 Liter V8 running at 10,000 RPM
and 400+ HP ...

Or ....
Old 03-28-2009, 01:08 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

you know i like you thinking because other than my dodge srt8 with rear mounted turbo idea i have thought about the rotary a couple of times, and it has been mentioned a couple of times on here, and they can handle loads of power and high rpms so that may be the way i go, its between that and the dodge motor right now, either one i choose will definatly be turbo'd, i just love the way it feels to get going and then spool up, and the sound of the turbo is unlike anything else
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Have you got a HP goal ? INot sure how much a stock SRT8 will handle. the Viper motor is a decent one to setup if you want bigger power without the rebuild to handle it. I think they can do 750/750 on a stock motor. Personally shows are for dropping your drawers and showing the world what you got. Don't hide those turbos under the car. 3 rotary motors would be pretty damn cool. But they are annoying as hell at 14k
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

viper engine. end.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

yeah i would love to put the turbo under the hood instead of under the car at the exit, but im worried about room under the hood after cramming that motor in there, but i dont have measurements of a srt8 yet but i am going when the weather clears up here. but all that piping to the rear would suck, and i am wanting to do the side exit no matter what setup i run so the piping and space for any setup is goign to get crammed quick