Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trying to get a %@(*$#! title in NC for a 1970 FB

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

Default Trying to get a %@(*$#! title in NC for a 1970 FB

Looking for anybody with a similar experience & advice needed.

I live in NC (which I really liked until today). I bought a 1970 FB about 2 years ago to restore. A rusty shell, no motor, no anything, for a reasonable price. I got the title from the guy selling it (from Florida) & just put it away & let the car sit under a tarp.
I finally decided to get the title transferred to my name so I can sell the car to someone else that will actually restore the car.
I go the local DMV, pay my $94 & get a little receipt card & a paper saying the car has to be inspected by the NC Inspection & Theft Dept before I can get a title. So I figure this is just to make sure it’s not stolen. Wrong. I called today & was told by more than 1 person (even called main office in Raleigh) that I will not get a TITLE until the car is drivable & roadworthy. I explained my situation & how I wanted to sell it and it is a shell & was told I can’t sell it without a title & I can’t get the title until it’s drivable. That would cost me probably 2-3K to get it drivable with crappy parts & I wouldn’t be able to get that much for the car.
I bought a 66 2.5 years ago & none of this crap happened. They said a new law was passed after I got the 66 about no titles for non-running cars! He said it was stupid & many people were really against that bill but it passed. He also said they tried to pass a law last year to allow a special non-running vehicle title, specifically so people like me could sell a car but it did not pass. What kind of stupid a$$ law is this?!
So I have a car & don’t know what to do with it. I found out yesterday my plant is closing soon so I can’t put money in this car. I could part it out, but that won’t get much money & I hate to see a FB die like that. I know I’ll never restore it within the next 10 years (thought I would, but I was wrong). They said the title is in my name but in suspension until the car is drivable. Nobody will buy it from me like that.
So I can piece it out or let it sit & continue rusting for another 10 years. Or push it through the DMV office front window & let them have it.
Any ideas??