Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:13 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default aluminum radiator

i found a fairly inexpensive aluminum radiator for sale on ebay. my radiator is old and needing replacing. but i keep finding that at my mustang parts supplier that they charge $360 for an aluminum radiator. my question is will this radiator i found on ebay be any better then my standard 2 row radiator i got on my car now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2823wt_966

it says its a 1 row aluminum radiator so does that mean it wont cool as well even though its an aluminum radiator?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

i also plan on installing an electric fan in the next few weeks
Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Jforte13

I would love to hear some feedback on this too. I need a new radiator, and i am very tempted to buy this....I have gotten some GREAT deals on EBAY before so I don't doubt it is good, but like knuckless said, it is only a 1 row. What effect will this have on cooling?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:02 AM
JamesW

Here's my install of a generic aluminum radiator
http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustan...r_install.html

that link doesn't work
Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I've got my eye on the attached . A little more expensive but 3row and quality of construction looks good. I think they make it for earlier years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190288129710

Last edited by palerider; 03-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I got one from this guy (not this radiator) for my 66 with a 450HP engine. I ran the engine in my driveway on a 60 degree day so far at a variety of rpms and it stayed at 180 (my thermostat temp) the entire time. I don't think you can go wrong, just get one with welded not epoxied tubes and a two row will be best nless you are running a stock 289/302. If you plan on any performance upgrades, go with a two row for piece of mind:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GRIFF...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

sorry can't comment (simply as I don't know) but i just bought one from summit racing. they have good prices on alu rads.

I just saw your wheels which look identical to mine. Are those cragar quickt trick I? if yes do they rust on you like mad as well? 2 weeks and mine are rust. I can wipe it off, but it's annoying .....

btw make sure to check on inlet outlet location. the one mark is using is different to yours. you should have both on passenger side with a 66 289 in a 66

Kalli

Last edited by kalli; 03-20-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:24 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I have used them on a few of the customers cars and have yet to have a problem. Just make sure you get the 2 row.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
sorry can't comment (simply as I don't know) but i just bought one from summit racing. they have good prices on alu rads.

I just saw your wheels which look identical to mine. Are those cragar quickt trick I? if yes do they rust on you like mad as well? 2 weeks and mine are rust. I can wipe it off, but it's annoying .....

btw make sure to check on inlet outlet location. the one mark is using is different to yours. you should have both on passenger side with a 66 289 in a 66

Kalli
yes the rust like crazy around where the fake bolts are. i have no idea how to fix it or treat it besides come rust inhibitor.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:21 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
I've got my eye on the attached . A little more expensive but 3row and quality of construction looks good. I think they make it for earlier years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190288129710
that looks like a great deal. its about $50 more then the one i was looking at but like you said 3row so that would work great.

anyone else have other radiators to look at or any more advice? im running a tired old 289 right now that runs hot. but hopefully this summer ill be replacing it with a rebuilt 302 so i want to get the cooler system upgraded before the new engine gets in

Quick Reply: aluminum radiator