Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Distributor Recommendation '66 street rod 289

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
slikk66

Default Distributor Recommendation '66 street rod 289

Hi there.. time to replace the stock distributor. My car used to run much better, lately I've had a bunch of high-RPM misfires, backfire etc. I replaced the carb, it got better.. but same problem. I've also replaced the coil. The setup also includes a crane HI-6 box that I am assuming is OK (I bypassed it to make sure problem still existed.. it did)

A talk with a local mechanic told me he thought it was most likely my 12 year old Pertronix points-replacing ignition that was dying, and I would be best served by replacing the distributor with one that uses the newer style magnetic triggers. He recommended mallory for ford.

SO, here's what I was looking at:

This model I think still uses points.. is that right? If so, I wouldn't want it..
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=MAA-4255111

I think this model is the full magnetic breakerless.. kind of expensive though
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=MAA-5755101

Are there any other options I could go for that might be a little cheaper?

My setup still currently uses vacuum advance, so I was going to stick with that. The current distributor in there I believe is original. The mechanic I used to have work on the car had me put one of the newer style, large diameter caps on there (5" diameter maybe?) I don't recall if that is just buying the different cap type, or if anything else was needed to make that happen.. but I like it, and would prefer to continue using it if possible.

Is this distributor a straight drop in replacement? Or is there anything else I am forgetting... I will remember this time to make sure that the oil pump drive shaft is in place

THANKS GUYS!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i don't know why there's such a massive difference in price between them
thery're both non-points-style (it says trigger: magnetic)
as for: My setup still currently uses vacuum advance, so I was going to stick with that
you have to. do not buy a distributor without vacuum advance if you want to drive this thing on the street
but i don't know the HEI boxes. so i can't recommend a distri that would use/match it.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

This is the one I have in my car. No problems.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

This is the one I have in my car. No problems.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-20-2009, 05:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

crane makes some AWESOME dizzys for the small block ford, check them out before you buy anything else.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

are you sure your high speed misfires are being caused by your dizzy. Could it be a high speed lean out or floating a valve? Just checking. Last thing you want is to spend nearly $300 and not fix the problem.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
slikk66

Im pretty sure its in the ignition.. ive had several people tell me same thing after checking out car. To test for it being to lean (mind you 2 diff carbs), I ran the car up to about 4-5k and then shut it off while moving, and checked the plugs.. they looked good. I don't think it's valve float either, the car used to do 6500rpm without too much problem, now as soon as it gets any pedal at around 5k it freaks out.

I saw some of the CRANE distributors.. would be cool to get a big cap model.. hows this one look?

http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...mber=1000-1600

The wiring coming off of it seems to have a clip style connector.. as far as I can remember, my Pertronix thing currently under my cap just has 2-3 wires that come out of it, is there anythign else I would need to do to get this working with my Crane HI6 box and blaster 2 coil?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:02 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

that dizzy + your box and coil = win