Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Granada vs Mustang spindles

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:23 PM
ccr

Default KISS

Just throw a 1/16 shim behind the pads and it will double as a heat shield too. Or if you don't like that idea just get the 1" thick Granada rotors from any race supply parts house. The're only 30 something bucks each and you have a choice of 7/8 or 1" thick.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:47 AM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Cute emotion icons and platitudes about KISS don't make the engineering good. A shim does not fix the problem of the brake pad backing place falling out of the bracket when the pad and rotor are at their wear limits. As I have already suggested, using a correct 1.025" thick rotor is the proper way to fit the SN95 caliper and pad set combo.

The new rotor and bracket kit will soon be available.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
ccr

Default just trying to help bro

Originally Posted by degins
Cute emotion icons and platitudes about KISS don't make the engineering good. A shim does not fix the problem of the brake pad backing place falling out of the bracket when the pad and rotor are at their wear limits. As I have already suggested, using a correct 1.025" thick rotor is the proper way to fit the SN95 caliper and pad set combo.

The new rotor and bracket kit will soon be available.
OK, if you don't glue those on anyway, why not just use the common 1" thick Granada rotors that are already available instead of a custom made one?
Old 11-10-2009, 01:14 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccr
OK, if you don't glue those on anyway, why not just use the common 1" thick Granada rotors that are already available instead of a custom made one?
Granada spec rotors are 0.88" thick.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
ccr

Originally Posted by degins
Granada spec rotors are 0.88" thick.
Only if you buy them from a place that does not give you a choice.

http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=24400
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
dunnman99

degins,

Sorry to post to such an old post.

I am out stationed in Taiwan. My car in AZ, is getting ready to go back on the road after years of sitting. I installed 76' Granada spindles on it back in 1990, changed out the outer tie rod ends, rebuild the entire suspension, and lowered it 1.5". It is a manual steering unit with no bump steer issues. What are my options for upgrading the rotor and caliper? My drum brake spindles are gone.

I am looking at SSBC kits, but I am unsure of the braket bolt pattern and spacing. I think the kits are set up for bolting on to the V-8 drum brake spindle, but of course mine has changed.

I am already running 17" wheels so space is not a concern. I am looking to find a kit that will utilize the 76" Granade disc brake spindle.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you already have 17s the best bang for the buck is the cobra brake swap mustangsteve and streetortrack.com both have brackets to use them.The cobra brakes are 13 inch 2 piston pbr the same thing baer uses and the twin to there cheapest kit.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:58 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Just for the record

I installed OEM style 4 piston KH front disc brakes on my 67 and am very pleased with ease of install and performance.

I have not installed a proportioning valve.

My brakes are far superior to drum/drum.

I like that I can use my 15" TTD.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
ccr

Originally Posted by dunnman99
degins,

Sorry to post to such an old post.

I am out stationed in Taiwan. My car in AZ, is getting ready to go back on the road after years of sitting. I installed 76' Granada spindles on it back in 1990, changed out the outer tie rod ends, rebuild the entire suspension, and lowered it 1.5". It is a manual steering unit with no bump steer issues. What are my options for upgrading the rotor and caliper? My drum brake spindles are gone.

I am looking at SSBC kits, but I am unsure of the braket bolt pattern and spacing. I think the kits are set up for bolting on to the V-8 drum brake spindle, but of course mine has changed.

I am already running 17" wheels so space is not a concern. I am looking to find a kit that will utilize the 76" Granade disc brake spindle.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you
I would avoid the ill fitting Mustang Cobra 13" brake setup on a classic Mustang and without a ton of wheel spacers, you existing 17" wheels will probably not work. All tho the Cobra brakes do give you some nice stoppers, you will be stuck with running the butt ugly, flat face, "might as well be a hub cap", late model wheels because the offset is all wrong for classic Mustangs. I personally have 4 piston monoblock calipers with proper offset 13" rotors instead of the way too flat Mustang Cobra rotors. I am a engineer and tool maker and have CAD and CNC equipment access, so I am able to engineer and build things like that myself (and could build more I guess!). I probally have less in my setup than what most have in their Cobra brakes and have way better calipers and a proper fit to boot. I am not sure what SSBC offers but Wilwood's 13" 4 piston SuperLite kit looks nice, but be ready to shell out about $1500. However, you would not have to throw your wheels away beacause they do look like they have the proper offset for our cars. ccr
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccr
All tho the Cobra brakes do give you some nice stoppers, you will be stuck with running the butt ugly, flat face, "might as well be a hub cap", late model wheels because the offset is all wrong for classic Mustangs.
"hub cap"...LOL.

Nice to know I'm not the only person who prefers classic zero offset wheels to the new high offset wheels.

Quick Reply: Granada vs Mustang spindles