Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cheap little upgrades? any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:52 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default cheap little upgrades? any ideas?

Im at college now so I can only work part time and I'm tight on money until the summer when I'm back to working full time.

So my question is what are some nice and easy cheap upgrades I can do for the car? (68 289) I just bought $16 worth of electric parts to create my own relay and may the headlights brighter, its better then buying the $75 wire harness from whoever makes its. Any one got some ideas?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

good and cheap is as you say the relays. And yes. no popint in buying a kit if you can buy a set of relays and cables for a few dollar fifty.
I don't know about shelby drops in 68 models. if it applies that something that virtually doesn't cost anything but keeps you busy.
.... and polishing those quicktricks ... (i'll try vaseline on mine next)
as together with the relays above you miht want to think about a set of "normal bulbs". here they stock them for all those mini coopers. same size, fit perfect and are 50quid. one of the best things I did to mine (for the money). never ever going back to those stup1d bulb lights. i can finally see (but have a set of relays in the glovebox waiting for a bored day as well).

Or how about ripping out your carpet and treating the floor with POR15? maybe schulzing the floor from bottom side?

ignition module to replace contact breaker?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Electronic ignition would be my first recommendation. Crane makes (or made) a pretty good unit that I've heard is more reliable than the Pertronix.

A 15/16" front sway bar would be fairly easy to do yourself, and won't cost an arm and a leg. Same with an export brace and monte carlo bar.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

yeah i like the idea of ripping up the carpets, i was thinking about doing that and maybe even sound deadening it at some point. i have electronic ignition in the car already so that was a very nice upgrade, i got a new timing chain I got to install sooner or later. and ive always wanted to put a monte carlo bar and export brace in

as for the headlights, i had HID's in the car and i loooooved them, yeah i know a 68 with HID lights? it sounds a bit ricey but they worked much better. anyway the ballasts are now in my 05 so now more HID, i do have xenon lights in them though and thats why im upgrading the wire harness.

thanks guys
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

A export brace and monte carlo bar are always nice to have.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM
JamesW

cheap upgrades huh....

Getting rid of the heater hoses by using the Fox 5.0's heater tube that runs down the intake. That's an easy/cheap that cleans up the engine bay.

Getting rid of the big voltage regulator can and going to the small electronic VR on the back of your alternator frees up space on the core support and removes a lot of wiring.

The underlayment helps sound and heat and can be done for 100 bucks

White face gauges really help the look of the dash....
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Mine didn't come with a passenger side mirror. That was quick and cheap, rear view mirror is cheap and easy if your old one looks like crap, new door handles, new window cranks. Depending on what your consider cheap, led taillights run about $150. and are much safer (brighter) than stock. For a few bucks more go with sequential, I love mine.
Get added to CJ Pony Parts mailing list. They offer free shipping a lot. That can add up to a lot of savings quick.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
cheap upgrades huh....

Getting rid of the heater hoses by using the Fox 5.0's heater tube that runs down the intake. That's an easy/cheap that cleans up the engine bay.

Getting rid of the big voltage regulator can and going to the small electronic VR on the back of your alternator frees up space on the core support and removes a lot of wiring.

The underlayment helps sound and heat and can be done for 100 bucks

White face gauges really help the look of the dash....
where does the 5.0 heater tube connect to? how would i set that up
Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM
JamesW

http://www.stephanies-mustang.com/heaterhose.htm

In this writeup, she says to weld the small EGR port. I just filled mine with RTV and put a rubber cap on.

Last edited by JamesW; 03-25-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:37 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Led dash lights are cheap and easy to put in.Dye some of your interior parts to make them look new.

Quick Reply: cheap little upgrades? any ideas?