Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

larger front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

Default larger front sway bar

i want to put a larger diameter sway bar on my car. It is the stock 3/4".
i saw on summits website that they have replacements in 7/8", 1", and 1 1/8".

will putting on a fatter sway bar than i need somehow not be good?
if having one too big won't hurt anything, i guess i'd get the 1 1/8" with the urethane bushings.

Any comments / suggestions are welcome
Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: larger front sway bar

Do you have a rear sway bar? I put a rear sway bar on and it made all the difference in the world. There was no need to put a larger front on. I probably would not go any larger unless I had the subframe connectors welded in.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:45 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

I wouldnt think It would hurt to put on a larger diameter sway bar. But you may have issues installing it without some type of fabrication. If anything though, it should make your handling a little stiffer, but it wont change much.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangrr66

I wouldnt think It would hurt to put on a larger diameter sway bar. But you may have issues installing it without some type of fabrication. If anything though, it should make your handling a little stiffer, but it wont change much.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
The larger sway bar can cause the holes that it is bolted to in these old mustangs to get larger. It can also weaken the monoframe on the cars because the bar is stronger than the frame.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:55 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

So if he wree to change out the front subframe rails, it might actually benefit him? Its a little extreme, but...

Do you even suggest that he change out the sway bar? Seems almost pointless now.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

I think the front one bolts to the suspension. If he changed out the front a arm for a tubular one and welded in the subframe connectors he would most likely be ok.

I like my rear sway bar. I am going to weld in the subframe connectors to be on the safe side.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:21 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrrhd73must

I think the front one bolts to the suspension. If he changed out the front a arm for a tubular one and welded in the subframe connectors he would most likely be ok.

I like my rear sway bar. I am going to weld in the subframe connectors to be on the safe side.
What rear sway bar did you use? I'm looking for ways to firm up my ride a bit.

I don't want to hijack the thread but what shocks are you running in the front? I think that will help me out with driveability. jrrhd73must You probably know what I'm talking about if your driving a 73 at say 120+ and hit a dip or swail in the road. First time it happens it makes you wanna crap your pants! I'm still looking for a good set for that. My resto guy ordered the stock ford shocks, not a HD set like he was supposed to.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

Now I do know that if he were to change to A- arms it would make a big difference. But how hard will you be driving this car? That can get expensive too.

Thats pretty fast to be driving your stang. Did you lose control of your car, or did i just scare you?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:38 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Go for the KYB shocks and swap all of the rubber out for polyeurethane. Those made the beggest difference. I do not have anymore body roll after those. I think I need new rear leafs also. They seem to have lost some stiffness.

My rear sway bar is 3/4 inch. I think that you can go up to a 7/8. You have to drill through the fram for this install. Not too bad. It took a couple of drill bits. I would like to weld 1/4 inch steel (with holes drilled) around my bolt holes to stiffen them. I have heard of them wobbling the holes larger in the frame.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:43 PM
stangrr66
1st Gear Member

Look at this website, if you havent already seen it.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/main.html

I only heard good things about them. Specific only to mustangs.

Quick Reply: larger front sway bar