Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
View Poll Results: White or Black Gauges
White
22.73%
Black
77.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Help With Choosing Gauge Color

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Only thing i don't like is there 6 gauge set up has no wiper switch site says they have a 5 gauge one.Most of us have ordered like kick panels off them.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
lefty3382
1st Gear Member

I have the same all black interior that you do, without the orange doors even, and when it comes time for new gauges I will definitely be going with white. Having an ENTIRELY black interior is kinda boring to me, and I like the contrast of the white on black. Just my .02
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

i votred white and here is why, judging by the pics of your interior the inside is mostly black and some orange around the doors, that white would really set off that black interior and the orange on the doors, plus with the black one the trim around the gauges is black as well which will blend with the dash but with gauges being black as well it just all runs together, which may be fine if you want the stock look but for a look that pops and gets your attention i would definatly go with white.

hope this helps
Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Retro looks good as well. I have some decisions to make. I like the price of this one for sure 650 vrs $1000. Looks like its going to black gauges for sure! Thanks. Now its all about getting a call back from MP Customs to answer some questions about their cluster so I can make a decision.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...2_2032_8663666

Last edited by rst08tierney; 03-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I voted for black.

Your interior looks awesome. I think it would look better if the radio was black and wasn't silver or gray.

That last one looks cool. So does the one with the mint green numbering.

I don't think the white face gauges look right in classic Mustangs.

They do look good in the later model Mustangs though.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 03-27-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
I voted for black.

Your interior looks awesome. I think it would look better if the radio was black and wasn't silver or gray.

That last one looks cool. So does the one with the mint green numbering.

I don't think the white face gauges look right in classic Mustangs.

They do look good in the later model Mustangs though.
Thanks, thats an older picture. I was able to tone down the radio by making the trim ring black. It really broke up that eye sore. If I could do it over, I would get a black deck as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Did you look at http://www.hallsresto.com/ they have 8k tach and 140mph speedo that look oem or http://www.classicinstruments.com/in...anginformation there black with white numbers looks almost oem.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

It have MP Products dash bezel and entire fastback interior package. I love the interior panels. They are very well made and look great. I'm not as thrilled with the dash bezel. It is ABS plastic and too soft. The installation screws cause it to deform, even when they are not tight! Here are some pics:

Dash (looks great from several feet away):

Interior panels:

Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mitzutuner
i votred white and here is why, judging by the pics of your interior the inside is mostly black and some orange around the doors, that white would really set off that black interior and the orange on the doors, plus with the black one the trim around the gauges is black as well which will blend with the dash but with gauges being black as well it just all runs together, which may be fine if you want the stock look but for a look that pops and gets your attention i would definatly go with white.

hope this helps
My wife agrees 100% with you and is pushing for the White Phantoms. She loves the extra attention since it is her car and also thinks the white will be just another eye catcher at the shows. (Thanks for taking sides with the enemy)

I really liked the Classic Instruments gauges my self but really cant justify the $1200 price tag to install it in a coupe if you know what I mean.

Has anyone dealt with Jack over at Halls Restoration, he seems very friendly and very confident in his work offering a life time warranty on his wiring and bezel which I think is great.

http://www.hallsresto.com/index.html

Again guys thanks for your help, I love this place!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rst08tierney
I really liked the Classic Instruments gauges my self but really cant justify the $1200 price tag to install it in a coupe if you know what I mean.
Thats an excuse dude! Would you if it were a FB or a vert? Whats the difference? Its your car so install what you want and like. Sorry but that whole "its a coupe / don't spend so much" thing is a slight peeve with me. Just look at my sig.. it's certainly been a guilty pleasure.

Not saying its better or you should get it. I'm the first person to agree.. it's a sh|t load of cash for a set of gauges! Just saying buy what you can afford and like. Don't not buy something because its a coupe.

Quick Reply: Help With Choosing Gauge Color