Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Isky Super or Mega cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Isky Super or Mega cam?

Hi friends,

My mechanic had a chance to drive the car and he told me that changing gears now would be a "patch" as opposed to a real solution to fix my lack of torque. The car is really sluggish at low-mid range, changing the heads to nice performer while keeping the stock cam was definitely not a good idea. I should have had it changed at the same time, I would have saved a lot of money! Anyway, I cannot go back in time and have decided to do it as soon as possible

I know that some of you here told me that Isky cams were old as opposed to newer design like Comp. I understand that but I will go with them for the following three reasons:

- My mechanic has a very extensive experience with Isky and has had great results
- On the other hand, due to some bad experiences he does not like the comp flat tappet cams
- I am not looking for a top notch setup and I want my mechanic to work with something that he likes

That said, I am hesitating between these two:

- Isky Supercam 262
- Isky Megacam 264

Does anyone here have experience with these cams along with Edelbrock Performer Heads? They give a rear end ratio with the cam specs, why is that? I don't get the link between a gear ratio and a cam...

What would be a nice duration/lift for my setup (see sig.)? I am looking for torque and power in the low to 5500 range.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Well since you mechanic has "extensive experience" with them, why don't you ask him?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

He he good point

He would recommend the Supercam 262 but since I don't really understand how to differentiate them, I'd like to have your opinion! Also, I forgot to mention that going roller would be too expensive.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Regardless of the experience your mechanic has with them.. I'd be questioning why he didn't explain to you that the cam should have been upgraded from stock when the new heads and intake were installed. I'd seriously ask him for a deal since he didn't.

I'm assuming here that he didn't mention this.

Best thing to do would be to call Isky (323.770.0930) and ask them what cam would be your best choice.

The cam specs to rear gear is a rough guide. My Comp Cams roller cam and lifter set recommended 3.55 gears however I went with 3.25. I forget the exact reason but think it had to do with the power/torque of the cam and the best suited gears for it.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Regardless of the experience your mechanic has with them.. I'd be questioning why he didn't explain to you that the cam should have been upgraded from stock when the new heads and intake were installed. I'd seriously ask him for a deal since he didn't.

I'm assuming here that he didn't mention this.
This guy is my new mechanic. He is not the one who installed the aluminum heads and the fact that I am seeing this one now is because the old one did not even talk about a cam swap at the first place.

Best thing to do would be to call Isky (323.770.0930) and ask them what cam would be your best choice.
I'll do it then.
The cam specs to rear gear is a rough guide. My Comp Cams roller cam and lifter set recommended 3.55 gears however I went with 3.25. I forget the exact reason but think it had to do with the power/torque of the cam and the best suited gears for it.
Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I still wouldn't go with an isky cam for a street car. You're going to end up with a narrow power band, making the car much less streetable (and enjoyable) than if you went with a more modern Comp Cams or Lunati Voodoo grind. Your mechanic should be smart enough to realize that just because he had a cam fail from Comp Cams doesn't necessarily mean that the cam was bad. More likely he chopped a cam during the period where the API was removing zinc from street oils and before the aftermarket world realized that was a problem and blamed the manufacturer. I also doubt he knows much about picking an aftermarket cam to match an engine.

Last edited by Starfury; 03-26-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Remember, duration produces RPM and the lift produces torque. The Mega cam has a little more lift so a little more torque. Also, with a 108 lobe center, it will sound bigger than it is. (Lobe center is when both the valves are open at the same time). A better choice is a 110 like a Comp Cam or even a 112 or 114. You only need the 108, 106 with something that has too high compression otherwise, you loose compression.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your feedback.

I am curious: what are the specs (lift / duration / lobe center) of the stock cam I have now?

The Supercam 262 is supposed to make power between 2000-5500, why would I end up with a narrow power band?
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

crane z series or lunati voodoo

/thread
Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

why dont you look at the Edelbrock RPM cam??? I had that cam after a Comp Cam 270 and even though it was bigger it was much more streetable

Quick Reply: Isky Super or Mega cam?