Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

body dropping

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Thumbs down

all that money in the green fastback in paint and no brake pedal cover or fixed e-brake handle

big blower mustang is a custom built chassis
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

When I built my frame for the mark viii suspension I made it so the bottom of the k-member and IRS cradle were even with the floor. I only have pics with the suspension at its max height. When I let the air out of it the body sets about 2 or 3 inches off the ground.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Most US domestic cars of the 1960's ran wheels with pretty close to zero offset.

S197 Mustangs use +45 to +50 mm, which will move the inboard wheel flange and tire sidewall almost 2" inward. Wheel offsets for the New Edge Mustangs are in the +20 to +30 mm range, which is still an inch more inward.

Re: those big wheels . . . Most Classic Mustangs are built up either as (mostly) restoration efforts that at least retain the original flavor of the car or as updated drivers or improved performance cars where the function stands ahead of the form (make it work right first, then make it "pretty"). So there isn't quite as much appreciation here for excessively flashy decoration for the sake of decoration, as compared with in the forums for the newer Mustangs. 20" on a '66 is seen as being as much of a "clash" as wearing pants and a shirt of two different plaids. At least for now.

There is no such thing as "universal 5-lug" wheels. There have been multi-fit wheels that will accommodate two or possibly three bolt circle diameters (most commonly the 4.5" Ford and 4.75" Chevy patterns). But there are more 5-bolt patterns than just those two (5" big Chevy, f'rinstance). That said, I think the Mitsu uses 114.3mm/4.5".

Edit - body-dropping a unibody car sounds a lot like building your own tube frame first.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-27-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

i may have taken what you said the wrong way but it seems like you dont want me on this forum because i want to build my car as a show car, shop demo car and sound quality competiton car, so im building it not in mind of performance, im not drag racing the car, im not building a road race mustang, and im not building a car that i will drive every single day, yes it will have big brake kit, i have the motor in mind and a turbo kit for it in mind too, so it will have some qualitys of the other types of car builds and yes i will drive the car to most of the shows, but the main purpose like i have stated many times is that the car will be a show car, shop demo car. but since it is being built as a show car, i want to try things out that havent been done much, i dont want it to be a typical car. but if i am not welcome here to express my ideas and try to get help with some of the ideas and concepts i have then i will go somewhere else, i have had a couple people act like since i am building this way that i shouldnt be on here, but i have come from the car show, car scene background where everyone acts as a family and even though we may not build our cars the same way we still respect the way they built their car because at the end of the day it is their car and as long as they are happy with it thats what matters but going and helping each other out is what i have been around. im just here wanting to talk with other mustang guys (and girls) that have a love for cars the same as i do, i dont go go and diss anyone on here for wanting to build a complete restoration car or diss anyone for buildign their car certain ways, but like i said i may have taken it the wrong way but since i have been on here i havent felt really welcome by most people on here, a couple of people have been friendly on here but some havent, or at least seemed that way
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

your welcome, some people are purists :P im modded granted not as much as you want to go
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Yeah you can't body drop a unibody body drop means lowering the body on the frame and moving up the floor pans.Sounds like the old 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag.For a frame http://www.gmachinechassis.com/ he has one for 67-70 might have to shorten it for a 66.Could build you http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2367&page=1 look up the ring brothers they made some mean looking mustangs and keep the lines the cars are known for.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

mitz, I think you took it the wrong way. As I read it Norm was just pointing out that there isn't a large base here for the heavily modded cars not that are not welcome. I think I have one of the most off the wall builds in this forum and I have never felt like I'm being run off. Some people may criticize your build or some part of it but I think you'll find that no matter where you go.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

even before i have got on the build i have heard criticism and i know it will follow me everywhere, i was just making sure that i was welcome here because of o wasent i wasent going to stay, because i know i have ideas that are really going to really get at the purists.

but a body drop idea may not be the way to go, i havent built anything like this before so i am sure there will be some dumb questions on my part, lol
Old 03-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

It's only dumb if you don't ask it!! Dude, without imagination, there is nothing. I kinda felt like you when I joined here too. Some of the remarks are harsh but people like stangtjk, waffles, adrenolin, starfury and pascal make this a place that cares! There are a lot more but, these guys really care.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

How low do you want to go?

You can't lay rail and drag sparks with a unibody.

Quick Reply: body dropping