Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures

Ok. First time doing an intake replacement and after I got the intake off I noticed all this rust build up. At least I think it is rust maybe carbon I don't really know. I am worried that if I try cleaning this gunk debris will fall into the block.

So do I need to pull the heads to clean this. I don't know how to proceed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-carbon1.jpg   Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-carbon2.jpg   Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-carbon3.jpg   Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-carbon4.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

You can always use a shop vac to catch what you are shipping off with a screwdriver. Just stick the shop vac hose right up against the port while you are scrapeing.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

no need to pull the heads
you can see that only the rear ones are blocked (front ones are ok)
if you check on your old and new intake I'm quite sure you'll find that there is no water crossover (means they blocked there anyway)
If that's the case I'm not even sure if it' clean it up as this will just fall into the water. maybe someone has a great idea. But ya. maybe valleys way works (the dentist procedure ...)

when you change the intake itself tyhe following is _very_ important:
- clean up the falt surfaces (no gasket material left). rub it with alcohol or any other brake cleaner
- do not use the supplied cork gaskets, use a 3/4" high bead of black RTV instead (the cork gaskets will slip out. not maybe, they will)
- put a small bead of that black rtv around the water ports (the 2 in front and 2 in back)
- make sure to use the torque sequence and torque them correctly.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 PM
solidGas
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will do the dentist procedure.

Kalli will do on RTV already have it ready to go. Just need to clean and install. Hopefully I will get this done tonight so I can start it up tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Here is how I do it. I let the bottom tach up really good. I then apply another bead on the manifold. While this is still wet I lower the manifold onto the heads. You can use long studs temporarily to perfectly align the manifold. Make sure you follow the torque sequence going from center, out. Start with 10lbs and finish with 18lbs. Check your torque several times, start the engine and let it warm up, torque again. After several days check again.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-fix-oil-leak-015.jpg   Newbie installing intake questions -- Pictures-fix-oil-leak-027.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

oh. yes. torque several times alright. when you torque one bolt another one comes loose again as the intake is settling in. I have to go through the lot about 5 times until they're all to spec.
Not checking or not re-checking is what caused all my hassle. engine overheated.

If you have those felpro gaskets (1250) there's 2 small thingies (tiny square shaped gaskets). a pair with hole in center and a pair without. They are for the heat crossover sitting right in the middle. you can choose if you want it open or blocked. use open when the intake has those holes.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 AM
JamesW

One other little trick is to make 4 studs by cutting off bolt heads and screwing them into the block. This way they act as guides when you lower the intake down and keeps it perfectly straight.