Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

This is bad for a guy in Seattle

Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
abcxyz91291
1st Gear Member

Unhappy This is bad for a guy in Seattle

I hope this is a problem alot of people have.

Last February, imagine how excited I was to go pick up my first car, a 1966 Mustang coupe! So naturally, the first thing I wanna do it take it through a car wash, and give my car a treat.

Anddd... Water came into the car. A lot. Driver's side window, passenger side window, both rear windows, and later found out, the trunk too.

So, is there an easy way to fix this? Would it just be seals, or are parts out of alignment in the body?

Helppp, it rains in Seattle alot!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I don't know about how to fix your problem but I would say that there are two ways of enjoying your classic:

- It can be a daily driver - pleasure every day as well as a lot of stress / money / problems
- You can drive it only when the sun shines - that's what I do and I love it

Well, living in CA helps a little bit
Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM
abcxyz91291
1st Gear Member

I wish I could only drive it in the sun.. But, at the moment, it's my only ride

>:|
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Useless you have rain that come down sideways you should be fine. The drip rails keep the rain from getting to the seals in the first place. When you go to a wash the water comes in sideways and the rails won't do anything for you. Could not hurt to replace all the seals anyways though, they are probably a little dry-rotted after +40 years.

If you are really serious about your cars looks you will never take any car through a "Car Wash" again. The soaps they use are harsh on the paint, and those scrubbers with micro-scratch you paint.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Start with the seals. Check all of them, see if they're cracked/split anywhere. Thats most likely your problem in the trunk. Did the PO store the car outside or inside because is he stored it outside and those seals are all bad then you may want to check your floorpans to make sure they're safe to ride on and no rust. Unless this car was just redone then i wouldn't worry too much about that second part.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
abcxyz91291
1st Gear Member

I haven't taken it to a car wash since, just cause I like to wash it myself anyway

But thanks, I didn't know they're abrasive to paint like that.

The previous owner was the second owner of the car, and it was his project with his son for a couple years. It was stored outside, under a cover.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Most likely just need new seals. They're super easy to replace, just require some patience. Order all your seals for both doors, both side windows, and trunk and do them all in one day.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
wareagle
1st Gear Member

isnt seatle one of the rainest cities in the country...and its your daily driver, id look into those cowl vent covers, until you could repair them correctly..... more than likely they are rusted thru and every day you will have wet carpet and more importantly, fred flintstone floors.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

My car leaks like crazy in the car wash. You can replace the weather stripping and window stripping and reseal the glass. That will help, but these cars were never REAL water tight. . Car washes use high pressure water, which is not typical of regular rain outside of a hurricane...I think you are fine there in Washington.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

The only time I bring mine to a car wash is to use the low pressure spot free rinse with the hand wand if it's really dusty or has water spots from rain or something. Go through and inspect all your weatherstripping, if it's cracked or isn't squishy and doesn't spring back when you press on it you should replace it. It's unlikely you'll ever get it completely watertight, but they're generally fine in the rain and if you know where your leaks are you can avoid soaking those areas during a wash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This is bad for a guy in Seattle