Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Where would you like extra DC & even AC power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default Where would you like extra DC & even AC power?

Have you ever been working, cleaning, polishing the car and wished you had one of those 12V DC power outlets closer? How about a standard household 3 pronged AC outlet? Well I want to know which and where.

I'll be installing 1 or 2 12V 'lighter' power outlets in the floor console on the passengers side under the dash. These are mainly used to charge a cell phone or two.

The AC plugs will be powered by a Duracell 1500 Inverter mounted under the rear seat (space permitting) or in the trunk. Master switch will be moved to a concealed place in the console as most of the time AC power will be off. Trunk mounted battery however I'd prefer not having this in the trunk due to the 2 Amps and subs back there. If you have a better mounting location please suggest it to me. Mounting dimensions are 16x6x3 & needs some ventilation.

I'll be installing 2 AC power plugs in the same location for any electronics we bring along on long rides. These can also be used to power laptops, vacuums, power tools, coffee maker , etc. 1 AC plug in the trunk as well if mounted under the rear seat. I'll run power forward under carpet and console for the 2 console plugs mentioned above. I'm also wondering if having one in the engine bay would be a good idea or not. Haven't been able to find a water proof housing I like yet.

Of course I could also simply have the 2 in the front console and have an extension cord. Doesn't have the different/coolness to it though.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I hate to brake it to you, but a Mustang is not a mobile home. You'll attach a trailer next :-)

nah. being able to make coffee is a good thing. I usually charge phones with the cigarette lighter

Kalli
Old 04-03-2009, 07:29 AM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

i personally don't see any need for anything more than 1 DC outlet in a classic mustang.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I have one in the "E" for a small laptop, but its only 300 watt (25 amps) and plugs into a lighter. With a 1500 watt inverter you are going to need a "VERY" healthy alternator to power this and will need to run #2AWG to the inverter, and thats keeping it close to the power source. At 1500 watts, you will be able to run a coffee maker or a large TV. Keep in mind that the amps needed to push the volts to make this power is going to be in excess of 130. I'm guessing that the alternator will need to be at least 250 or 300 amps output (and it only will chunk this out at full RPM's). If the engine is not spinning fast enough and the inverter is loaded, a single battery will be dead in minutes. You may need to look at a dual battery system (with marine rated cells) to keep things healthy. Most inverters of that size offer a "remote on" terminal so that you mount your switch anywhere you want. I noticed that the info did'nt offer the input power required to make the stated 1500 watts it puts out. It should read something like 135 amps at 12 volts. Good luck. Oh, these things do heat up quiet a bit when under full load, a vented, mosture free area would help.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
I hate to brake it to you, but a Mustang is not a mobile home. You'll attach a trailer next :-)

nah. being able to make coffee is a good thing. I usually charge phones with the cigarette lighter

Kalli
Sounds like it's time for a VW Camper Bus.