Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Stang marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
jmassey

Default 67 Stang marker lights

Alright, this may be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I have a 67 coupe I'm building and I have replaced both quarter panels. The quarter panels I cut out had holes for what I assume where marker lights. There were no lights there when I got the car. I was thinking I had seen on the net that Ford slapped on some marker lights on late 67 models and then had recessed marker lights on the 68s. I can find everywhere on the net that federal law required the lights on the 68, but now I can't find any information anywhere about them being added onto the late 67 models. I talked to my son who says he thinks he remembers reading the same thing, but he can't find it either. Looking at the holes that are in the old panels, they look pretty uniform and don't really look like somebody added them. Am I completely wrong about this or did Ford really do this on the late 67's? If they didn't put them on any 67 then I won't put them on, but if they did, I want to be true to my model. Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

As far as I know 68 had the marker lights on the lower part of the front fender below the bumper, but 67 never had them.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

you are kinda wrong. in late 67 they made a marker that went on the outside of the car. (drilled in with two screws)it was a dealer safty option. 68 was the year they were flush mount and standard. 67s are popular because those lights are extreamly hideous and ugly. if its not too late bust out the bondo and fix those holes. if you have a 67 those lights are just out of place.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:17 AM
jmassey

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read that somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere. I drilled the pilot holes in one quarter I replaced and i can weld those holes up. The other quarter I cut the quarter out below the holes. I can patch it though, shouldn't be a problem. Just for giggles I would like to see what those markers look like.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 AM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmassey
Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read that somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere. I drilled the pilot holes in one quarter I replaced and i can weld those holes up. The other quarter I cut the quarter out below the holes. I can patch it though, shouldn't be a problem. Just for giggles I would like to see what those markers look like.
here you go. Its a bit nasty for me! But some people like them. I think the ones in the front are worse.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

We actually added them to our 67 exactly for the reason they were added in 68.. for the added safety. Side marker lights improve the visual safety of the car. Why do you think nearly every car since 68 has them? Same can be said for the rear 3rd brake light. It's just a smart thing to do if your driving the car often or as a daily driver. If its a weekend/show car then I wouldn't bother.

Personally I like the look both with and without them so it works for us.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have never seen a 67 with them. I have only seen them on 68. Both of the cars pictured are 68.

Also, isn't the rear one just a reflector? My friend had a 68 coupe and his were just reflectors.

I really don't like the look of them. Its too bad they didn't wait until 69 when the body style changed to start using them.

Speaking of 3rd brake lights, where would be a good place to mount a hidden one. I though about putting something slim below the gas cap above the bumper. That might look crappy though. I'll probably just leave it alone.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-05-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

As far as I know there were no 67s with front or rear side markers. In 68 they started adding side markers. They also had 2 different quarter stampings in 68. IIRC they started with recessed rear marker areas on the early models then went back to a flush mount on the later models.

tx65.. yes the rear markers are simply reflectors while the fronts were full lights. Regarding the 3rd brake light it should be mounted higher then the others so at the base / center of the rear window on the package tray is where it should go.