Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Having Trouble Bleeding Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
4R RUSH
1st Gear Member

I found that I had to tap on each of the calipers with a rubber mallet to get all the air out.
I could get all but alittle out and when I did this it helped.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
It seems like the pedal still goes down too far though. Should it go down farther than it did with the old single resivior master cylinder and 4 wheel drum setup? It goes down to only a few inches above the floor.
Is the rod long enough?

Is the MC bore (1 inch)big enough?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:28 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

4R Rush,

I may try the mallet trick. That sounds like it might actually jar things around and possibly move air bubbles. Does anyone know if this is a bad idea?

Oxnard,

The push rod should be long enough. I got an adjustable SSBC one. There is very little play in it. When I pull up on the pedal it barely moves.

I don't know about the bore size for sure. What I have been told is that having too large of a bore requires a power brake booster.

FakeSnakes,

What did you mean by that last statement? Did you mean the front brakes hooked up to the larger bowl at the rear of the MC and the rear brakes hooked up to the smaller bowl on the front of the MC? That is how its connected. Isn't that the way its supposed to be?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-07-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

4R Rush,

FakeSnakes,

What did you mean by that last statement? Did you mean the front brakes hooked up to the larger bowl at the rear of the MC and the rear brakes hooked up to the smaller bowl on the front of the MC? That is how its connected. Isn't that the way its supposed to be?
That is the way it is supposed to be. I just wanted to make sure as the front calipers need more fluid and need the larger bowl.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thanks FakeSnakes. Thats what I thought.

Does anyone know if turning the **** on the SSBC adjustable proportioning valve counter clockwise opens it up to reduce its bias on the rear brakes and closes when turning it clockwise to increase the bias. Also how do I know when its completely backed off? Will it stop turning or unthread itself?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Thanks FakeSnakes. Thats what I thought.

Does anyone know if turning the **** on the SSBC adjustable proportioning valve counter clockwise opens it up to reduce its bias on the rear brakes and closes when turning it clockwise to increase the bias. Also how do I know when its completely backed off? Will it stop turning or unthread itself?
i don't know their p;roportioning valve but you have to look a long time for anything that opens when you turn it clockwise :-)

so my guess would be turn anticlockwise to open (means allow fluid), means unrestricted pressure to rear brakes. clockwise for restricting flow to rear.
never tried and tested but that's what I expect it to be. why don't you give it a try ?

kalli
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Now there is some insight! I had my adjustable valve fully CW and I couldn't get the rear brakes to bleed. I tried it in various positions and finally came back to full CW and it worked. Perhaps that is your problem?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Whats CW mean clockwise?

I would think that that would be like a water valve and clockwise would close it off. I might be wrong though.

I am going to contact SSBC and ask them.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Whats CW mean clockwise?

I would think that that would be like a water valve and clockwise would close it off. I might be wrong though.

I am going to contact SSBC and ask them.
According to the picture, the direction on the top of the adjusting ****, and the product description, you turn the **** clockwise to increase brake pressure to the calipers. This would mean you turn all the way clockwise for wide open flow. Counter-intuitive, I know, but that is what is looks like.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

That's right, Urban. I think mine might have been stuck when I first bled the brakes. It seems fine now.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble Bleeding Brakes