Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 Fastback Engine and T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Default 68 Fastback Engine and T56 swap

I wanted to post up some pics of my engine and transmission swap in my 1968 Fastback Mustang. The main modification goal is the T56 transmission and a mildly modded 302 Winsdor, I hope you enjoy.

The candidate:

The work area

The pre-engine bay

Out with the numbers matching 4V engine and C4 transmission, putting this up for another day
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

First thing I did once the engine was yanked, was my clutch pedal setup. I used a modern drive line clutch cable kit and a rollerized bearing setup in the stock pedal bucket. I used the automatic brake pedal and cut it to size using a brake pedal pad for the standard brake pedal.

Here are some pics

Ground out the old cast bushings

I dont have any good pictures of the roller bearings mounted up, one picture regret I have. The install was easy.

Pedals ready for install!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Engine bay all cleaned up

Motor Mounts installed

Clutch Install

Engine and transmission in mock up. The 4.6 clutch fork had to be swapped out for a T5 piece. I used an adjustable ball stud to get the proper throw.

Motor and Transmission in place

Transmission mount from an 03 MACH 1. Looks like I've got a great drive line angle and clearance for my exhaust too! I've was able to salvage my Prothane mount from my C4 as well.

I'll need to do some massaging for the shifter hole. But as far as fitment everywhere else, it was meant to be!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
MustangLouver
3rd Gear Member

Nice fastback...beautiful color. =\ Wish I had a classic. Gl with the rest or the build
Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

very cool
Old 04-05-2009, 01:18 AM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I finished doing my T56 conversion this winter and love it. Having 2 od gears is great. I find myself cruising in 5th gear much more than 6th. You will love the swap! BTW I had to use Ron Morris lowering motor mounts to get the driveline angle correct. With the mounts I was able to do the swap without cutting the trans tunnel. Have you checked your driveline angle yet?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 AM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68EFIvert
I finished doing my T56 conversion this winter and love it. Having 2 od gears is great. I find myself cruising in 5th gear much more than 6th. You will love the swap! BTW I had to use Ron Morris lowering motor mounts to get the driveline angle correct. With the mounts I was able to do the swap without cutting the trans tunnel. Have you checked your driveline angle yet?
I've got the Ron Morris Motor mounts as well. Whats the most accurate way of getting this angle? I remember reading on your post up about your drive line angle, the car it self is sitting at 0 right now, engine and transmission, I'm not sure just yet, but read 0 from the intake. I'm picking up some new hard ware for the mounts this morning and then I will re-check the angles.

I'm currently building a 9" for the car as well. So I have yet to set the rear spring pad angle. I'll check this with the stock 8" for the moment.

Last edited by coolhnd9; 04-05-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I verified the driveshaft angle at two places since I wasn't sure the first was the best place. The first place I check it was on top of the valve cover. I then put in the slip yoke and checked it there. I came out with the same measurement at bot places. I wouldn't use the top of the intake since it has an angle to it to compensate for the angle of the engine tilting back.

Your car looks great by the way!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's amazing how well the modern drivetrain fits in the Classics.
I will go that route on my 68 as well, it was fun on my old Cougar so I'm ready to duplicate.

And I agree with everyone else, nice car
Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
coolhnd9
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone! It's been a lot of work and putting things together 3 or 4 times before getting it right. I'm still worried about my exhaust and finding a long tube header that will work... I may have to give up? Between the the steering box, clutch cable and huge McLeod bell housing it will be tough to squeeze anything in there. I wish I went with the stock 5.0 housing for the transmission now!

I think I will be better off getting my built rear in the car before I care to much more about the drive line angle. Having the whole package in the car will be the true determinant when it comes to a proper drive line setup.

Quick Reply: 68 Fastback Engine and T56 swap