Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Swapping 4 lugs for 5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Default Swapping 4 lugs for 5?

I've stumbled onto a 65 project with a 6 cyl, manual and 4 lug wheels. My plans call for a 302 min, auto and 5 lugs. I'm more familiar with 9" rears. What are the parts requirements to swap front and rear 4 lug hubs and axles to 5 lug? Will an axle swap do or a complete rear end?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You're going to need a complete 8", 8.8" (with 5-lug axles), or 9" rear end, and I'd recommend a Granada-style front disc swap from CSRP. The kit comes with everything you'd need to convert the front to 5-lug disc brakes, including spindles.

You'll also need new springs all the way around, and may need to upgrade the transmission (some 65's came with Dagenham 4spd's) and shorten the driveshaft as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:27 PM
JamesW

You'll also need to upgrade the steering to the V8 specific components.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Read this http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto...ade/index.html james we could add that to the faq if its not there now?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
RagHead
1st Gear Member

Maybe cheaper to find a v8 car, especially if you have to pay someone to do the work.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

It is cheaper to buy a v8 car must on here that have done the swap was 2 grand up which isn't that cheap.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 AM
guybored
2nd Gear Member

It might be cheaper and better if you are still looking to buy a car. if you already have one then it might be a different story. When i bought mine I really didn't think about how much it was going to cost to do the swap. But again I have always wanted 65-66 mustang. I offered my dads friend $4000 for the car and he refused two years later he calls me and tells me, 'you still want the mustang bring me $2500 for it and come pick it up." I thought it was a deal. Later on v8 mustangs started poping up for $4000-$5000. Should off waited maybe. I am now building the car my way. there are a few things needed some things I can remember right now are:
radiator
headders
exahust
center drag link
outer, inner tie rods
piman arm
5lug spindals
rear axel
other things my mind just went blank. I have about $2700 invested in the swap and I sill need some things to get the car running. Just think if you buy the "65 project" add another 3500 to make a V8 (might be high but better to have money left over than to have the project waiting, thats where I am at). Might be better to keep looking for a v8 if you are still looking.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Well, I was ready to pass on the 6 cyl as I found one 4 hours away which was touted as a V8 car. I got some pics and it's a pretty solid car, then, BAM! In one shot I can see 4 lugs on the rear wheel. Well, that was short lived! Is it safe to assume the 260 would have 4 lugs or was that ever an option on the 289? I'm also assuming the 4 lug is the 7.5 and 5 lug is the 8.0 and up? I haven't found these details in the faqs or elsewhere.

For what it's worth, the original car I asked the question about has Granada front suspension parts as part of the deal and he sent pics to prove it so that's a plus in buying that one. That only leaves the engine, trans, rear axle, rear quarters, driver's floor pan, carpet, paint... sigh...

Oh, ya'll mentioned my paying for work? Nope. I've been an auto tech since '82 and now own my own biz so that helps. Money is no object, though - I don't have any!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

4-lug wheels where never an option on a V8 car.

It's cheaper to buy a V8 car if you want to be able to drive it anytime soon. If you're already planning on replacing the suspension, drivetrain, cooling, and steering, it's not going to matter much what motor came in the car because you're going to spend the money either way.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
4-lug wheels where never an option on a V8 car.
I suspected that on the 4 lugs. This is a classic car lot advertising it as a v8 car but in one pic it's rather clear there are only 4 lugs so I thought just maybe"?" 4 lugs were an option on the 260. Somebody screwed up and it was almost ME had I not been looking. 4 hours is a long trip to discover something like that.

Originally Posted by Starfury
It's cheaper to buy a V8 car if you want to be able to drive it anytime soon. If you're already planning on replacing the suspension, drivetrain, cooling, and steering, it's not going to matter much what motor came in the car because you're going to spend the money either way.
Cheaper than what?? 4 luggers are all I've found worth a hoot after many many hours spent searching. I can get one for under $2k versus $3k and up for anything worth more than a bullet with a v8. If anyone knows of a comparable deal within a few hours of Houston, I'm all over it! Oh, and I'm in no real rush to drive it. I'm all for the buildup.

Quick Reply: Swapping 4 lugs for 5?