Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

pleeeeese help,...electrical lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Default pleeeeese help,...electrical lighting issues

ok,...i have spent hour upon hours trying to figure this one out,...

66 gt a code,...when i connect the battery the dash lights and tail lights come on,..no key, no nothing,..just come on and stay on...

i have been through 5 light switches, 5 ignition switches, two starter selenoids, three brand new voltage regulators,...and nothing

what could be causing this,...a bad ground? what should i be looking for?

would a bad ground cause lights to stay on and come on automatically?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

a bad ground wouldnt make sense because if it wasnt grounded the electricity wouldnt flow through it (right?)

sounds like maybe you have the wires hooked up so that they are always on. like you wired them that they think the light switch is on.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Do the parking lights in the front come on also? If you turn the headlight switch do the dashlights dim like the are supposed to and what happens when you turn it to the position whre the interior lights come on? If you unplug the headlight switch do they all go off? Do the interior lights come on also?

Sorry for all the questions, but you can sometimes troubleshoot problems effectively by eliminating causes.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

had an idea that doesn't work out. so ignore.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 AM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
Do the parking lights in the front come on also? If you turn the headlight switch do the dashlights dim like the are supposed to and what happens when you turn it to the position whre the interior lights come on? If you unplug the headlight switch do they all go off? Do the interior lights come on also?

Sorry for all the questions, but you can sometimes troubleshoot problems effectively by eliminating causes.
i didnt think it would be a bad ground but 23480 people have all told me "oo it has to be a bad ground", but like stated, a bad ground wont pass on electric, correct?

1. the parking lights DO NOT COME ON
2. if i turn the light switch YES the dash lights will dim,..NO KEY in
3. i dont know what you mean by turning it to the position where the interior lights come on
4. i will try and unplug the switch today and see, i did not think of that,
5. what do you mean by interior lights...its a convertible if that helps
Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You've got a short to power somewhere, not a bad ground. Either a hot lead is hooked up wrong in the wiring, or a hot lead is frayed and shorting to your tail and dash light circuits, activating them constantly.

You need to get yourself the factory service manual and use its accurate wiring diagrams with a voltmeter or test light to figure out where the short is.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

The reason I asked my questions is exactly to Tad's point. The tail and dash lines are common, the front park lights are on a different circuit that comes on with the headlights. You have a battery power lead connected to the tail/dash line. The common connection is at the switch, so if you pull the plug from the switch and it goes out, you know the problem is at the switch/plug. I'm betting it will not go out as your problem is a short to hot somewhere in the wiring after the plug. Perhaps in the tail light harness which will be the next thing I will ask you to unplug. If you unplug it and the dash lights go out you know the problem is in the tail light harness. If they don't, the problem is in the dash wiring (most probable). You can also test this by pulling the dash light fuse.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I hate to say it but it sounds like a bad switch. The head light swtich is hot all the time (the head lights can be turned on with the car off). It almost sounds like the head light switch punger is not being allowed to be pushed in all the way which is keeping the dash and tail lights on. Are you sure the bezel and switch are installed correctly? Maybe the bezel is keeping the plunger from going in all the way.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:59 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I hate to say it but it sounds like a bad switch. The head light swtich is hot all the time (the head lights can be turned on with the car off). It almost sounds like the head light switch punger is not being allowed to be pushed in all the way which is keeping the dash and tail lights on. Are you sure the bezel and switch are installed correctly? Maybe the bezel is keeping the plunger from going in all the way.
@#$&Q#$*()&Q#$*()_&%#)_(&#@$*(&@#$*()

now i really Fing give up,...i went outside today and played around another 3 hours,...here is what i did and what happened

1. i replaced both doors and chose not to re install courtesy lights back into the doors, so the harnesses where just hanging on both sides,..i removed the full courtest harnesses on both sides and hooked the door plauger thingy back up,...

2. unplugged the little plug by the steering colume that goes to the rear taillights to see if that would do anything,...

3. connected the battery and dashlights came on and so did tail lights but the flashers would not work (plug being un done), ok...

4. connect plug back , connect battery and tail lights and dash lights are off,..GREAT! left came back 20 minutes later and played around with switch, started car, turned lights on and off 10 times,..still stayed off,..great fixed,...

5. HAHAHAH go to hit the turn signal on the colume and ALL 4 FLASHERS come on (hazard lights), WHAT THE #$(*&, and when i hit the brakes,..brake lights come on BUT LITTLE GREEN LIGHTS ON dash for the indicators also light up,...

6. did my turn signal cam go bad?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
jamieNerikas66stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
and sorry to answer your question, the plunger is alllll the way in,..i have played with this thing for hours apon end and trust me, its in and sits flush to the bezel and dash

Quick Reply: pleeeeese help,...electrical lighting issues