Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Back with the new cam - feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:15 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Back with the new cam - feedback

Hi friends,

As some of you know, I had my stock heads replaced by edelbrock performer aluminium and I kept the original cam in it as well as my performer (non RPM) intake. I was unhappy with the changes, I had to rev a lot to get power and I had a lot of hesitations at low RPM. I was not able to floor it at 2k RPM for example, it would hesitate 2 seconds and then go.

I am back from the mechanic and I had the following done: New XE256 cam and Performer RPM Air-Gap intake

Here is my feedback:

- The sound is different, now I know what it means to have a somewhat aggresive idle (but nice). It definitely sounds meaner than before.

- Compared to before, I need to rev more to launch the car. Basically, I have to go at least to 1800/2000 RPM if I want to start correctly. In the past (stock heads and cam), I would be able to launch it with pretty much no acceleration. Now it is "rough" (as opposed to smooth) but when I change my driving habit I can manage to launch it properly.

- The car has become a race car When I go past 2500 RPM, it pulls really strong, the sound is great and it is a blast to drive! Best are highway entrances, I keep it around 3K in 3rd gear and hammer it down: broooooooar nobody can follow me I don't think I went past 5.5K, no need to.

- It took time to warm up, is it because of the air gap?

- If for some reason I shift too early (i.e. it goes around or under 2k in the shifted gear), it stumbles. I basically need to rev more than what I am used to.

That's my first impression of course, I will take it this week-end for a "cruise" and see how it goes. The problem now is that it seems obvious that my 2.79 stock rear end ratio is completely off.

(time to update my signature!)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Excellent news! Yes, that cam needs 3.50 or better gears for the best performance.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Yep, those gears explain why you have to rev so high to get going.. I feel that with mine now..
Old 04-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Glad you like the new setup. I personally went with the 3.25 gears with a TrueTrac limited slip. Really thought about 3.50 but its gonna be a daily driver and I wanted the fuel mileage.. (yes.. I'm silently laughing here) ..really.. fuel mileage
Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

seems you're having a lot of fun with it :-) glad to hear. again make sure you use oil with lotsa ZDDP to not grind down the lobes of your new cam.
I would have though that the cam would pull at lower revs as well but it'll be interesting to hear how your 'cruising experience' goes
Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That cam should have better low-end than that. Even my Magnum 280 (albiet w/Rhoads lifters) with 3.25 gears still has some usable power down low. You should really get your carb retuned. I suspect your carb is running lean now at low-rpm's (low vacuum condition with the new cam). This condition might also exaggerate warmup time. What kind of carb do you have?
Old 04-11-2009, 12:50 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

The carb is a Holley 600cfm and it has been retuned. Let me rephrase, I don't think I really have a problem at low RPM, I feel like I am starting the car in 2nd gear pretty much: I have to rev it higher than before to do it correctly.

@Starfury: when you say 280 with 3.25 gears, are you talking about a T5 transmission? That's what I have with my 2.79 and now I start to understand why I am the only one with this setup...

I am about to leave for a ride: San Francisco to Santa Cruz by the Cabrillo Highway (http://tiny.cc/qO9Ss). It is the kind of road I like where I would drive 3rd and 4th gear before with the stock head/cam.

I will keep you posted!
Old 04-11-2009, 01:22 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a tune problem
Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

No, I mean my cam is the Comp Cams Magnum 280, which is quite a bit more aggressive than your XE256H. My rear gears are 3.25's. Your XE256 should have plenty of low-end power, although the 2.79 gears are definitely holding you back.

I'm not a Holley tuning expert, so I'd recommend opening another thread and seeing if you can get that low-end sluggishness tuned out a little.

And save for gears
Old 04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I am back from my day trip (160 miles, nice roads and highway on the way back). It was pretty useful, now I am convinced that I still have a problem!

1/ Starting it was difficult: I had to maintain a small acceleration or it would stall. This has never happen before, it seems that my choke is not working anymore. Even with my old carb with a broken choke it would start without any problem. The car is in a normal garage, probably 60 degrees.

2/ Driving in the City was just like yesterday, I needed to rev high to launch the car and because I was not doing strong acceleration I did not feel any hesitation issue.

3/ Highway entrance, going up, I did a nice and strong acceleration and it was great. There was a R32 Golf next to me, he is probably very sad now! I did not hammer it down with violence, I went slowly up to 3K and then went stronger.

4/ Rest of the trip was dissapointing: I have an obvious hesitation problem under 3K (and maybe higher). I even had an explosion in the carb when I really floored it at 2K in 4th. It is not smooth at all, I have power but very bad throttle response. I noticed that when I started the car on my way back I had white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I was only able to use my fifth after 70 MPH but that's a different problem.

It is better than before (probably because now everything matches) but it is not fixed at all!

Does it sound like a running lean issue? Any other symptoms that I can look at? I would be assuming that they tuned it correctly, that is suprising.

Thanks!

P.S: Pure random, on my way down there was a meeting with a couple of Mustangs:

Quick Reply: Back with the new cam - feedback