Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MY LUCK wrong freakin part.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default MY LUCK wrong freakin part.....

Hi guys, those who said yea thats the correct part were wrong but then again perhaps you didnt know what tranny i had...

take a look for yourself..

and then again my leak that was so severe, could it be from here?

When i drove the car, after noticing the tranny fluid leaking all out and leaving a huge puddle, i jacked up the car but the whole damn tranny was soaked underneath and noticed it dripping from the bell housing. the pan was soaked too but i thought that was from the bell housing just going back but then i saw the tranny where the coolant line goes in and its all wet under there as well so could be a multiple leak??
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Cypress, I was one of the people that told you that was the right seal. My comment was based on your statement that you bought the seal kit for your transmission. You then posted on this forum asking if that was the right seal for the front of your transmission. I guess we were foolish to believe you knew your own transmission well enough to get the right seal kit! When you then asked if that was the right seal, it is the right seal for the front of the transmission, I guess just not your transmission. One other thing, we can only help you based on the descriptions you provide. You said the fluid was coming from the front of your transmission.

Is that the coolant line for your transmission? Did you actually start the car without the cooling lines connected or at least looped? If so, that is one of your major leaks! The cooling lines are pressurized by the pump and will fairly quickly pump all the fluid out of your tranny if they are left open.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

of course they were connected, but they didnt leak after my few short runs i made, then when i took the 30 min drive, i noticed a puddle of fluid at the gas station under the car. I jacked up the car and couldnt see much just oil dripping from the bell housing and the pan soaked. then by the time i got home and wiped it all, it wouldnt leak (needs to be driving obviously). Based on where the tranny is soaked under that coolant line input, i believe it could be the main source of the leak but it could well be that the front seal is shot. I checked it and see no nicks or dings on it but ordered another one as i dont want to take the tranny out again. its the third time now!

by the way, i ordered the correct seal and gasket kit but mustangs unlimited screw up the order and sent me a 3speed top loader kit. I hadnt noticed it as i never changed the seal before. i realized it when i went out their site to check what the front seal looks like and noticed the kit they sent me for a diff tranny. there is only one type of front seal for an auto tranny.

by the way again, how does the seal come out without fukin up the tranny? i dont want to make any mistakes...
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

It is hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like there is any fluid on the retainer. The seal might be fine. The easiest way to remove it is with a seal puller. Absent that you can thread the end of a slide hammer into the sheet metal between the flange and rubber seal and pop it out. The other option is a thin flat tip screw driver. Get it under the flange lip in several places carefully prying it out by working your way around the seal. Once out, install the new one by drilling a hole just slightly larger than the tranny snout in a short piece of 2x4. Slide the seal over the snout, then the wood block and tap the block all around until the seal is properly seated.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:47 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

if mustangs unlimited sends me the correct part, ill try that in a few days. thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Unless you cleaned the front of your tranny the leak is not coming from the seal. Fluid would be everywhere.

I'd say because of the obvious fluid present that for some reason the line wasn't sealing to the tranny, and that's the source of your leak.

Did you try NAPA for the seal?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I doubt there is a NAPA in Cyprus I guess he can order one on
line.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo
Unless you cleaned the front of your tranny the leak is not coming from the seal. Fluid would be everywhere.

I'd say because of the obvious fluid present that for some reason the line wasn't sealing to the tranny, and that's the source of your leak.

What he said. Unless you cleaned the inside of the bellhousing, there's no leak there. Dripping off the bellhousing would be normal because thats the lowest point and the fluid just runs down.