Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

which gaket set?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

Default which gaket set?

the 289 block is back from the machine shop...

gonnat start the rebuild now.. but i was wondering i see gasket sets on ebay from 30.00- 150.00 and was wondering what i should stay away from or which one i should get??

my friend is saying just goto Autozone.
but there is a P A W close to us .. i was looking at the website and the engine rebuild gasket set is like 150.00

I am so confused!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm a fan of Fel-Pro for my gaskets. Most chain stores carry Fel-Pro (since Victor Reinz pulled out of the automotive aftermarket), and I believe Autozone can order them for you without shipping.

That said, you may get a better price from Summit Racing. That's where I do all of my shopping for engine parts. They don't charge for shipping, so you can get together a huge order and get charged something like $11 for handling.

Try not to scrimp on gaskets. $150 sounds about right for a full gasket set with a decent set of head gaskets. Spending as little as possible may result in your having to take things apart again down the road when they leak.

I do recommend picking up a one-piece rubber oil pan gasket separate from the gasket set. Much easier to put on, easier to remove in the future, and its reusable.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I do recommend picking up a one-piece rubber oil pan gasket separate from the gasket set. Much easier to put on, easier to remove in the future, and its reusable.
i second this motion. the one i picked up is SOOOOO nice. here it is now!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...T&autoview=sku
Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Joe67
Banned

speaking of victor reinz, how is their gasket set?
it came with my rebuild kit, and i guess i am stuck with it
Old 04-11-2009, 11:53 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm not a huge fan of some of their gaskets for performance use. They tend to use a flaky fiber/metallic composite for intake gaskets that doesn't seal as well as some of the Fel-Pro designs, which are more commonly fiber/rubber composite, fiber/rubber laminated over metal, or rubber laminated over metal.

Victor-Reinz is a strictly OE supplier now, which is what they were good at. Fel-Pro is more retail-performance oriented, and they do well at that.

All that said, I'm sure your gasket set is probably fine. The only things I'd question would be the intake gaskets and oil pan gaskets. Everything else is going to be ok for your average rebuild.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

DO NOT use the cheap Fel Pro blue intake gaskets.I have never had them seal.I just replaced them last night with the Fel Pro 1262 set,much better
Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I've had them seal just fine, but I do agree, the 1262's are much nicer. The standard blue gaskets work great with the stock cast iron setup, but they don't seal to aluminum as well as the print-o-seal types.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Joe67
Banned

Great, no intentions of a hijack, but....
do you think i should put the victor intake and pan gaskets and see if they leak, or go straight to another brand?

if the intake gasket leaks, is there a chance of hyrdolocking?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:17 AM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engin...Q5fAccessories
vs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-P...Q5fAccessories

vs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trick...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-12-2009, 02:21 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

I've used PAW in the past and didn't have a problem. Just know what you're buying before you pay. as for the gasket kit, as least change the rear seal to a fomoco red HP seal. Its heavier and thicker than stock, and pick up a one piece oil pan seal for a 5.0. This are just improvements that pay off in the long run. Other than that, rest is similar.

Quick Reply: which gaket set?