Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

rear quarter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Question rear quarter replacement

About how much did it cost you guys to have your quarters replaced and how much had to be replaced?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I did mine myself. I also had to replace the outer wheel well and the trunk drop off. Mine had been wrecked and bondo'd over. Is yours rusted or wrecked?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I put full skins on both sides of mine. It cost me $200 for the skins but $100 of that was shipping. I spent about 3 hours on each side. If you have to replace the wheel wells it would take a bit longer. It was my first time replacing quarters so a shop may be able to do it faster or maybe not but that should give you a rough estimate on labor costs.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

A mustang shop out here quoted $1200 per side. I laughed at him.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Holy crap! that's a ridiculous price. I thought about doing it my self because i know i could do it but just don't really have the time to take several hours in a row to work on it at the moment. Do the skins have the "flanges" at each end to wrap into the door jam and around the back onto the tailight panel and around into the wheel well?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:55 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the full skins have all of that stuff they just end about an inch past the upper body line.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

good. I'm okay at butt welding seams but i know that I can cover spots and laps
Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 AM
gooser
2nd Gear Member

i wonder if anyone here has put on a quarter the modern way. with glue.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gooser
i wonder if anyone here has put on a quarter the modern way. with glue.
Yes they have. There was a whole big discussion on it a about a year ago I think. As a matter of fact, I was talking to a buddy I know that has a body shop about it just a couple weeks ago. He happened to have a Dodge pickup that was in the shop for a collision repair. Apparently, the truck had been in a previous accident or something and had a glued on repair in the wheel arch of the truck bed. The repair extended about 6 inches in front and back of the wheel arch, all the way to the bottom, and ended about 4 inches below the bed rail. The repair panel was laying in the bed of the truck when I saw it. The bond had completely separated and the panel came off. The thing that surprised me is that the side of the bed that the panel was on didn't look like it had any damage from the most recent accident. My buddy will be repairing the truck and he will actually re-use the repair panel and weld it in. His opinion is the same as mine. Unless you have perfectly clean bonding surfaces and proper clamping force, the bond could be compromised. Having been involved with the discussion of last year, I asked him specifically about bonding on a whole quarter panel skin on something like a Mustang with a load carrying unibody. He said he personally wouldn't bond it but would weld it. He said that he does bond on a lot of smaller patches in his shop and that it works very well. He just said that for a large repair like a complete quarter he wouldn't do it.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I would never use glue to bond any patch panel. I'm pretty sure I could tack weld a panel on quicker than it would take for the glue to set up. I think the glue would be more of a hassle and not be as good of a repair.

Quick Reply: rear quarter replacement