Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

all my gauges read full...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I think the IVR (or CVR or whatever) needs to be grounded. Your signal wires must be what is grounding to peg your guages.

Why didn't the one you made work? I posted a follow up on an older post that has a link to a Mopar site that fully discusses the IVR and how to correctly make a solid state version. Check that out.

Either way, good luck with it, these things can be a pain to figure out.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i could probably help a biut more if anyone had a link for a good wiring diagram for a 68. The ones I find half the page is ripped in the TIF picture.

Anyway. For a gauge to swing you need to have + on one side and ground on the other.

you say you have a oil pressure gauge. Since according to the wiring diagram there's a cable going from the oil pressure switch directly to the cluster (only passing the firewall connector), this is your ground.
(the oil pressure switch has only one cable so the resistance to ground in the switch will regulate the gauge).

In other words:
- switch on ignition
- disconnect your oil pressure switch or sensor (just remove the cable).
If that causes no effect then there must be a wiring problem directly between the gauge and the oil pressure sensor. -> check the firewall connectors. swapped? turned?

If that doesn't help, any good 68 wiring diagram (not picture of cables and bulbs, need schematics) might help isolating the problem.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

hey guys thanks for you help i ended up fixing it. i took apart the old IVR so that the metal body was apart from the actually IVR, when i put it back together i must have messed something up and well i have no idea and it made all the gauges read full except the temp gauge and alternator gauge that didnt move. when i tried making my own IVR i forgot to ground the capacitors so it didnt work at all. i grounded the capacitors and now it works fine.

the only gauges that isnt working are the clockk (not really a gauge but you know) the alternator and the temp gauge. ill try switching out the temp sending unit with a new one...except the gauge didnt read full when the others were so i think the gauge may just be broke