Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mutant Engine!?!?!? What the hell have I got here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Default Mutant Engine!?!?!? What the hell have I got here?

Ok, I got an engine (really cheap) for my 65 project. The engine was running before it was pulled. I actually drove the Mustang it came out of. It was a beat up wreck, but it did run very well. I was told it was a 1968 302. It has a 4 bolt damper, so that makes it seem like an even later model, maybe 69-73. The water pump inlet is on the driver side. It also has a 3 groove crank pulley. The guy I bought it from said he wanted to keep the original brackets, accessories, and fan pulley. I thought nothing of it at the time, which was stupid on my part, because now the brackets, and fan pulley I do have will not fit.

I checked the casting number (C5AE-6015E) which makes the block a 65. Would I be able to just install early style brackets, water pump, pulleys? I've already tried mounting an early style water pump, and it seems to work. However, the fan pulley diameter is just slightly too big, because of the crank pulley. The early power steering bracket I have looks like it will work too. I know the timing pointer will be an issue, because if I use an early water pump, it will cover the pointer. It's mounted on the pass. side of the block.

So, what can I do? I don't want to replace this engine too. It's already in the car. It ran just fine when it was pulled, and I don't want to pull another motor.

Can I use the early parts, or do I have to search for the later parts?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I'd say you have a 65 289 block from the casting number.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 AM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
I'd say you have a 65 289 block from the casting number.
That much I know. The problem is the accessory brackets, pulleys, and water pump.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

If the balancer is an aftermarket piece some companies made it easy and incorporated both 3 and 4 bolt patterns to it. Or maybe the balancer was taken off of another vehicle... Who knows its 45 years old lol. you can probably use all early brackets and W/P but the balancer might change the location of the crank pulley and allow misalignment. Id get the correct pulleys and brackets for that year block, same with the W/P.

Or take the motor back and demand the stuff the dude took.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

on top of the block just forward (as seen when in car) of where the driver's side head mounts (kinda between distributor and oil pressure sensor) there's usually a casting date. Check on that to see what year that thing was built.
it's anything 65+
Old 04-17-2009, 09:22 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
on top of the block just forward (as seen when in car) of where the driver's side head mounts (kinda between distributor and oil pressure sensor) there's usually a casting date. Check on that to see what year that thing was built.
it's anything 65+
I dont know about that. the casting numbers I have always seen were on the side of the block under the passenger side head above the starter.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

casting numbers yes, but casting date is up there.
in a 71 block I have seen casting date next to casting number, but not in my 1966 289 block
Old 04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Why not just change out the dampner to the earlier one with 3 pulley bolts?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary H
Why not just change out the dampner to the earlier one with 3 pulley bolts?
I was thinking about that, but correct me if I'm wrong. The damper, and flex plate(it is an automatic) have to match to be balanced, right? This motor was running just fine before all this. I don't want to put an early damper on it, and have the balance thrown off. I don't want to pull the motor out to change the damper, and flex plate just to keep the balance either.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Not cheap but you could always add a March Serpentine pulley system. Thats their new Style Track setup which looks like this. Mine just arrived yesterday. They also have a less expensive solution here.

An option if you want to upgrade the pulley system that you dont have.

Quick Reply: Mutant Engine!?!?!? What the hell have I got here?