Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Furious at body shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Go to bbb.org and file a complaint about them.Most normal body shops will back burner a older car so they can do fast insurance work.Its better to use a auto restorer then a body shop they will do it on time but cost more.I would never pay anyone in full for any work done from my car or house i always give a deposit and have a payment plan if your not happy don't make the last payment tell your happy or tell them see you in court.I would tell them you have 24 hours to paint my car or You want so much money back and you'll have someone else paint it.About how much you gave them so far?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Your pretty much at the mercy of the body shop.If you pay half up front, they stop working till you pay the rest, if you pay in full, they have no reason to work any faster.

My car was supposed to take 6 weeks................went past a year and i picked it up as a basket case and had to reassemble the WHOLE car myself while going through chemo.

Also Ford Performance is a good company and will finish your engine in under 3 weeks.They stood behind some problems i had and have no complaints.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Problem with fileing a complaint with BBB.org is what kind of workmanship will they do after I file a complaint?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:22 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Are those your final wheels? Do you have any junk wheels you can slap on during the paint process?

Sorry to hear about the delay.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The short answer is you are pretty much screwed...

Since you have paid most of the cash up front, these folks have very little incentive to get your car done fast... if at all.

Likely they will finish the paint, who knows what the quality will be. Might be good, might not. In any case, it has always been an issue of TRUST that this shop would come close to delivering what they said they would, apparently the betrayal of this trust really does not matter to them much. Nothing you can say or do will make them "care more".

Without getting any more specific than you are comfortable, did you pay them a lot of cash for this job?

When I was younger,,, I traded a 15 year old pick up truck for some paint work on my 39. After several months, when nothing was done, I went and loaded my car, ended up loosing most of that old truck (all but $500.00), but it could have been worse, might have lost the car too.

Long story short, this turned into a big contentious issue, that might have gotten way out of hand.

Live and learn, never pay in full or "most" up front.... ever, not for anything. A good shop will not even ask for this.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

eZ, I have found that the BEST and EASIEST way for you to get it done is to have a friend follow you into the shop with a camcorder running!!!!!!!!! Have your friend tell them that he works for the media and it will be put on You Tube, the news etc. In this economy, NO ONE can afford the bad media. You will get it done!! Good luck my friend.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:57 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I don't think your situation is as bad as some are making out here. Unless you took it to a "restoration" only shop, it will take a back seat to the ins work. The quote time is never right, and in most cases, way off. My car was in shop from May 1st to end of Oct. I was told 3-4 months tops. The problem is you paid them nearly in full-don't stress about it. I'm sure they will finish your car, just not tomorrow. You probably don't want to **** them off, yet. They still hold the cards of doing a good and quality job, just be patient but firm, and be nice. You may want to strangle them, but when you get your car back, hopefully it will be what you were dreaming of.

Then, lesson learned, is not to go back there. I tried to keep an open line of communication open with my body guy. Eventually, he was tired of working on it and looking at it everyday, he finally finished it. But he had a good attitude about it. Near the end, I gave an estimated pick up date to keep him moving forward and to finish the car.

This situation is very normal and a lot of newby car guys get frustrated at the thought of getting the runaround. Just try to keep the bs to a minimal and be in their face daily. Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default Best Answer...

ZM Likely has likely offered the best and most applicable answer....

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
I don't think your situation is as bad as some are making out here. Unless you took it to a "restoration" only shop, it will take a back seat to the ins work. The quote time is never right, and in most cases, way off. My car was in shop from May 1st to end of Oct. I was told 3-4 months tops. The problem is you paid them nearly in full-don't stress about it. I'm sure they will finish your car, just not tomorrow. You probably don't want to **** them off, yet. They still hold the cards of doing a good and quality job, just be patient but firm, and be nice. You may want to strangle them, but when you get your car back, hopefully it will be what you were dreaming of.

Then, lesson learned, is not to go back there. I tried to keep an open line of communication open with my body guy. Eventually, he was tired of working on it and looking at it everyday, he finally finished it. But he had a good attitude about it. Near the end, I gave an estimated pick up date to keep him moving forward and to finish the car.

This situation is very normal and a lot of newby car guys get frustrated at the thought of getting the runaround. Just try to keep the bs to a minimal and be in their face daily. Good Luck.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

If you are done with them, go back and pick it up. Ask for your money back and if they refuse, tell them you will be talking to the BAR. See how they like that.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I just won a small claims suite because this guy kept telling me, "By next week at the latest" for about a month, then he got really shady.. So I had to get someone else to finish it..

Quick Reply: Furious at body shop