Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Trailer Hitch for a 65' FB, is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 PM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

Default Trailer Hitch for a 65' FB, is it possible?

I live in Georgia and I have been asked by a friend to remodel a kitchen in her house in California. Well I run a computer based business with a friend and i was having him help me out on the remodel job. Since it will take a few months to complete and because the house where we will be working is a mile from Highway 1, he wanted to take is motorcycle and I wanted to take my mustang.

So i have looked to put a non-permanent trailer hitch on my mustang, but I haven't found anything. I don't want to damage anything on the car, but I am willing to drill some holes in the underbody of the car. I am familiar with trailer hitches, as I have another car that I use to tow my jetski and a trailer with, but I would rather be in California with the mustang. Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 PM
cliffgriffiths

Default N Fool Average

I have a trailer ball that was installed on my 66 fast back in 67 it all bolts in , if you want it i live in s. cal ,contact me
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Dude I had the coolest setup on my 66. It was a home made deal but basically consisted of a piece of 3"X3" square tubing that was the length of the distance between the inner left hand shacke and inner right hand shackle. In fact I want to say the original shackles were welded to the tubing or there were plates welded to the ends that served as inner chackles for both sides, dont remember now.
Anyway, there was a piece of angled plate where the ball installed and behind that two long pieces of angle iron that went from the backside of where the hitch was to each side of the differential housing and was U bolted to it.

Had to be the best setup for a car that I've ever seen/used. Pulled my 16' speedboat with it regularly for a year or two till I bought my truck.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:33 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

How much are you looking to tow with the car?
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
dano670
2nd Gear Member

I am looking about towing around 1200lbs. I am guessing that the motorcycle weighs 700 and the trailer will be 500. It is one of those 5' x 8' metal trailers.

Can you post some pics of your home made trailer hitch?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 PM
cliffgriffiths

Default No Average Fool

i found pics of my 66 with hitch installed,and i have all parts to bolt it on ,e mail me if interested
Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I saw an ad on craigslist recently where a guy had several FoMoCo hitches for sale. One came on (or was dealer installed on) his '66 Mustang. If you care enough, you can probably search him out. It was the Houston craigslist. I looked again but didn't find it.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Many of the hitch installation shops can weld up a custom class II or class III
receiver, for not much more than a standard receiver kit. Then the receiver bar is bolted to the frame rails. I wouldn't mess with a homemade job. You don't want your trailer disconnecting on the hiway!
They even make them with the receiver facing down so it doesn't show when
the draw bar (the part the ball is attached to) is removed. I would recommend
a class II hitch for your application and strongly recommend a transmission cooler be installed if you have an automatic. Towing can burn up an automatic quick.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 04-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
'68 Convert.
1st Gear Member

I had one on my 68 (previous owner) that I pulled off and tossed a couple of weeks ago. 1,200 pounds may not seem like a lot but if you get in the mountains with any kind of heat your tranny will suffer if its an automatic. Its not just the weight, its the aero drag that the trailer and bike will cause that is a factor also.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch for a 65' FB, is it possible?