Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The problem is simple, with the style rocker arms you are running you need PUSHROD GUIDE PLATES!....

You have rightly recognized part of the problem, the lack of "side rails" on the rockers. You have of course noticed that Ford used rocker with the trench to ride over the end of the valve stem. this causes the rockers to "self center".

Roller tip rockers will require guide plates on most all SBF heads. Guide plates will REQUIRE HARDENED PUSH RODS as well. (This is because the pushrods will drag on the guide plates).Since they are bent, now is the time..

The guideplates will fit under the rocker studs. The plates will raise the rocker studs about a 1/4". This will PROBABLY help your lifter geometry, (the angle that the rocker sits against the valve and pushrod). You will need to get the right push rod length to make everything right.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

JMD, there are roller rockers available for use without guideplates. Not that guideplates aren't the better option, but sometimes not the most economical.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Comp makes self aligning full roller rockers. Pedestals are the same way, but also have the pedestal channel to help with alignment.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
JMD, there are roller rockers available for use without guideplates. Not that guideplates aren't the better option, but sometimes not the most economical.
Oops,,,

I had never seen them before, when I went back over the thread and saw your post I knew I had made a mistake!

Since then I have done a little more research on the matter and possibly the OP has another complication, but having never worked with STOCK SBF heads I am not far enough along in my research to be sure...

I am assuming that it may be problematic to install guideplates on some Windsor heads... because of the way the stock lifter bolt down... but the OP may already have screw in rocker studs...??
Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Screw in studs require guideplates, or a rocker that's self aligning. Pedestals have a self aligning tip, but the channel that the 2 pedestals for each cylinder sit in keep them aligned as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
slautr

OK GUYS........SORRY.........about the caps lock and thanks for all your help..(everyone).sorry about being rude at first but I never seen caps as being so annoying to others....maybe I was yelling about screwing up the ride when I thought I was almost complete after 4 years,and the lack of funds, and now taking another step backwards again.....Thanks once again for everyones help and once again I will say I'M SORRY for the caps....
Old 04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
pinboy122
1st Gear Member

your best bet is to buy a set of self-aligning roller rockers,otherwise your heads will have to come off.Where in ill are you?

Last edited by pinboy122; 04-19-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: left out
Old 04-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by slautr
DOES IT BOTHER YOU THAT BAD...TUFF ****
Tuff **** indeed.

Ignore
Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slautr
DOES IT BOTHER YOU THAT BAD...TUFF ****
well, i have a feeling your not gunna be around here for very long
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
slautr

Originally Posted by pinboy122
your best bet is to buy a set of self-aligning roller rockers,otherwise your heads will have to come off.Where in ill are you?
What about pshrod guide plates?? I live in St.Charles

Quick Reply: ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS