Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM
slautr

Default ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS

ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY 289 HAS A TORKER POWER PACKAGE ,CAM,TRUE ROLLER CHAIN, LIFTERS,RODS,VALVES,INTAKE,600 CARB,WATER PUMP,VALVES ARE 1.90/1.60 ALL THESE PARTS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR THE PACKAGE..AND IT SEEMS WHEN I ADJUST THE ROLLER TIP ROCKERS I GOT FROM COMP,THE FINAL 1/4 TO 1/2 TURN MAKES THE ROCKER TIP WANT TO GO TO THE SIDE OF THE VALVE TIP ! THERE IS NO SIDES NEXT TO THE ROLLER AND I FEEL AS THOUGH IT MAYBE LEAVING THE CENTER OF THE VALVE...I STARTED THE CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME AFTER ALL THE ADJUSTMENTS AND HEARD A BANG AND SHUT IT OFF AND REMOVED THE VALVE COVERS AND FOUND SEVERAL RODS BENT AND A SET OF LOCKS OFF A SPRING..??? NO REAL DAMAGE OTHER THAN THE RODS... DID I ADJUST THE LASH WRONG ??? I USED THE #1 TDC METHOD OF MAKING A MARK AT 180 AND AT 90 OF TDC.. IT SAID WITH #1 BEING AT TDC I COULD ADJUST #1,7,&8 INTAKES AND 1,5,&4 EXHAUST..TURN 180 AND ADJUST 4&5 INTAKE AND 2&6 EXHAUST...TURN 270 AND ADJUST INTAKE #2,3,&6 AND EXHAUST 3,7,&8.....
IS THIS THE RIGHT WAY OR NOT ??? I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP BEFORE THE NEW RODS COME FROM SUMMIT AGAIN AND I SCREW THEM UP TOOO....lol
Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Please turn off your caps lock or stop holding down the shift key.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:06 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

yeah each post youve posted has had caps lock. its like your yelling...its terrible
Old 04-18-2009, 09:25 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

im not gunna read this until its no longer caps, no offence, just cant read it that way, really annoying lol
Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

so, i went through this, somehow LOL, atleast with chevys, should be the same with ford i would guess. you have to adjust when its running really. are your rocker arm nuts adjustable? you put a allen wrench in the middle and a wrench on the outside?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM
slautr

Default WHY WHY WHY

Originally Posted by Deviousfred
Please turn off your caps lock or stop holding down the shift key.
DOES IT BOTHER YOU THAT BAD...TUFF ****
Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM
slautr

Default caps

Originally Posted by knuckless
yeah each post youve posted has had caps lock. its like your yelling...its terrible
don't sweat the small ****
Old 04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
slautr

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
so, i went through this, somehow LOL, atleast with chevys, should be the same with ford i would guess. you have to adjust when its running really. are your rocker arm nuts adjustable? you put a allen wrench in the middle and a wrench on the outside?
no,i have screw in studs and a locking nut.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you're going to continue to type in caps, or cop an attitude when people tell you to turn your caps lock off, I'm going to make it a point to ignore all of your future posts. You're here because you want something from the rest of us. If you're an *** about it, don't expect any help.

Now, despite the fact that it was difficult to read in all caps (it really is more difficult to read text in all capitals, the brain doesn't want to think that way), I managed to read and interpret what you said.

It sounds like you're using rockers designed for use with guideplates (or slotted pushrod holes in the heads)...except you don't have any guideplates. You need rockers designed for use without guideplates. The end with the roller tip will look like this: |_| This will keep the rockers inline with the valves and keep you from further damaging anything.

In addition, I'd recommend buying yourself an adjustable pushrod checker and a solid lifter. Even though you have the "recommended" pushrods for your application, that doesn't mean they're the ideal length. Any time you modify the valvetrain, you should check for ideal pushrod length to make sure you're not doing any damage to the valve guides, pushrods, etc. by having the rocker tip off-center on the valve tip.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slautr
DOES IT BOTHER YOU THAT BAD...TUFF ****
Please be kind to people and type with regular case letters. Typing with all uppercase letters is a sign of YELLING and many people find it annoying including myself. I do understand how some people don't understand the difference so I will point it out to you. Please turn off your caps/num locks key. If you need a capitol, press the Shift key for that character only.

Yelling 'TUFF' to people will likely not get you much assistance and only goes to show rudeness. Please don't take this as an insult but a kind gesture in polite netiquette. I've been online since the mid/late 80s and trust me in this. Correct typing goes a long way!

Quick Reply: ROCKER/PUSHROD PROBLEMS