Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

JBA Headers Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Unhappy JBA Headers Fitment Issue

The new JBA headers 1650S I got from Summit don't fit. The driver side header contacts the back of the shock tower and the steering box with the front flange bolt in and the rear is still about an inch too high. What can I do?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

cut, reweld, pretty easy fix bud
Old 04-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

How much room is there on the passenger's side? Headers are a tight fit on these cars.
Make sure the motor is centered and the shock towers are the correct distance apart.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I guess I will most likely be returning these to Summit. I have heard nothing but good things about JBA. The headers look like they are well made but just needed to be designed slightly different. I can't believe that it is so common to have header fitment issues. I have heard of alot of people having issues with different brands.

EZFEED, I can't see cutting up and rewelding these headers. They are actually the 1650SJS not 1650S. They are ceramic coated stainless and weren't exactly cheap. If it was a 100 buck set of headers that might be another story. I don't have any welding equipement either though.

Oxnard Montalvo, The shock towers are the correct distance apart. I also have the one piece Shelby style export brace on the car. There does appear to be a bit more room on the passenger side between engine and shock tower. The motor mounts do not have any room for adjustment.

Does anyone know of a pair of shorty or midlengh headers that have more clearance for the steering box and shock tower? I am only really interested in stainless ceramic coated. I don't want to have to shop for headers again in a few years and have trouble finding something that fits again. I also would prefer a thicker flange to avoid leaks.

I'm just about tempted to just get a pair of Hi-Po reproduction manifolds. I can't see just ordering a bunch of different headers to see what fits.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-20-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

You need a set of 66-up motor mounts. Those aren't designed to work with 65 mounts.
Your towers may also be collapsed. Common problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Doug's headers, formerly Doug Thorley. About the same price as JBA. Before you go spending this kind of money, I second the motion, swap out your motor mounts, fraction of the price.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Those are ceramic coated, so cut and reweld is too costly. I'd get a different header unless you want to "adjust them" with the BFH.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Here is what I used and a picture:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

This is in my 66 fastback, but it has a cable clutch and lowered motor mounts:

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Oh F those headers Mark. Number 7 plug and header bolt suck a big one lol !!! And the quality of Heddmans had been off for about 2 years. Have fixed a few sets lately.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Yes, but they were the only ones that came close to fitting my car and the quality was fine. Actually, #7 plug was easy, #7-8 header bolts were a bitch!

Quick Reply: JBA Headers Fitment Issue