Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

EXHAUST FUMES KILLING ME......

Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunarweasel
Ive heard that the rubber seal in between the cowl and the hood (can't think of the name) does wonders for fumes if it is missing.

Its the one that runs along the wiper tubes...

I have to disagree with that. Mine has been missing for 20 years. Come to think of it....so is my trunk seal, my door seals, and every other seal. I don't hardly have a seal in my car and I get no fumes....It's not a seal issue. Your engine is not running right. I can stand behind my car aand not smell exhaust, unless I put my face right in front of (or behind) the pipes.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:42 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stepman
I have to disagree with that. Mine has been missing for 20 years. Come to think of it....so is my trunk seal, my door seals, and every other seal. I don't hardly have a seal in my car and I get no fumes....It's not a seal issue. Your engine is not running right. I can stand behind my car aand not smell exhaust, unless I put my face right in front of (or behind) the pipes.
how do you wash your car?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Actually, I haven't washed my car in more than 5 years. It currently only has a light coat of primer on it to prevent rust. There isn't much of need to wash a car out this way either...it don't rain or get dirty much.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

yeah i figured youd be fine without seals in arizona cuz its dry as anything so no need to worry about rain.

i got wash my car weekly especially now with all the pollen
Old 04-25-2009, 06:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CyprusMustang
if i stand behind the car id probably pass out! what should i do to make it less rich ?
idle mixture screws. will only affect idle circuit though, but we're talking standing in the back of the car anyway.
the holley has one on each side of the front fuel bowl. start with closing them snug (don't tighten them as they're needles),m then reopen by one and a half turns. both of them

always make sure to turn both the same if you decide to open one side by quarter turn do the same with the other

what you want is the highest manifold vacuum in the leanest idle screw position.
if you don't have a vacuum gauge you can use a rpm meter. highest rpm for leanest setting.

check the manuals for holley or edelbrock. all info in there
Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

question, could any of the vibrations and the fumes be from the engine being a little off timing?
Old 05-08-2009, 02:57 PM
fordlvr

I am new to this forum. I just signed up because I have this exact same problem and have been fighting it for 6 years. I have never seen a post on a forum that is this issue. If I keep my windows up, it is not so bad if not at all, but if I roll them down or open any vents then it smells really bad. last year when I tried to pass emissions, it was 4x the limit of hydrocarbons. I know that it is running super rich, but cannot find where to lean it out that much. I have an MSD ignition and have not changed the advance springs in the distributor. This past weekend I pulled my entire fuel system. cleaned the gas tank, new fuel filter, rebuilt the carb, checked the regulator pressure and am still having the issue. It does run better though. I don't have any exhaust leaks either. it is a 65 Fastback, exhaust tips through the valance, Holley 650 DP, Holley electric fuel pump w/o return fuel line. my spark plugs are not fouled or burnt after 6 years of use, they are still in pretty good shape considering the richness of the car. All seals are good and car is fairly tight. I have been converting it to a Shelby Clone so I have taken out the rear louvers and put in windows. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I am sure it has something to do with how rich it is. I have not yet checked for vacuum leaks. maybe I will have some time this weekend.

Not to say that I am glad I'm not the only one to have this issue, because I know it sucks. I just hope we find a solution. I am not opposed to pulling the motor and going through it if that is what might be causing the issue, I am at a loss as to where to look for this.

Anything advice or links to anything would be much appreciated.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordlvr
last year when I tried to pass emissions, it was 4x the limit of hydrocarbons. I know that it is running super rich, but cannot find where to lean it out that much. I have an MSD ignition and have not changed the advance springs in the distributor.
How did you do with CO? That would be a better indicator of too much fuel. High HC's indicates an ignition issue.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 AM
fordlvr

@ 2500 rpm
CO
Standard - 5.00
Test - 1.19

HC
Standard - 900
Test - 509
---------------------
@ Idle
CO
Standard - 5.00
Test - 1.18

HC
Standard - 900
Test - 4162
Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Wow! That's unreal. Your numbers look pretty good at 2500. Your CO also looks pretty good and doesn't change. (that's basically raw gas) HC, however is "partially burnt" gas. I would have to look at some kind of misfire at idle, maybe timing? Maybe "lean misfire"....(vacuum leak at idle?) just some thoughts, but I think what you have is the right amount of fuel, but it isn't completly burning at idle for some reason. Air mix not right? Could be a lot of things that is hard to see thru computer...how much have you done with ignition system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EXHAUST FUMES KILLING ME......