Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Locked my keys in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:05 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

lol i agree on the seat part but about one guy saying get duplicates made if he lives in a place like i do they look at my key like it is a foreign object and then tell me they cant make a key that is from a 66 mustang. which then again the people that work in these places are not the best
Old 04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

You live in California? Just push your car to Compton and leave it there for a night....I'm sure someone will be able to get in.

I'd call a lock smith. I don't think they can charge more than $100 for assistance, with $40 probably being the average charge. Me? I'd already have a screw driver in hand and be "going to town" on my back seats...even though I have a little door to my trunk that I can just pop up and reach through.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Removing the back seat is so easy my eight year olds can do it.

If you need new keys made you can order a blank key from Mustang parts vendors then take that to any key shop or as a second option you can always rekey the car yourself...that is the very first project I did to my Mustang was change the door locks and ignition and really is pretty simple to do. When I purchased the set that came with both the door lock cylinders and ignition cylinders they sent me numerous copies of the key.

Never have rekeyed my trunk but I only have one copy of that one so I certainly need to do so, but then again getting in the trunk is beyond easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Joe67
Banned

anyone can make a 66 mustang key
no joke i learned when i was 7 how to copy keys liek these with a file

If the guy at the place tell you he cant do it tell him its a ford 10 cut, and he'll get it, they are actually 8 cuts but a 10 cut blank will work and is readily available for all late 80's to mid 90's fords
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

This thread reminds me of a '68 coupe I looked at a couple months ago. The guy shaved the handles off the car. No key holes or ***** anywhere on the outside of the car. You needed a remote to get in the doors or trunk. Problem is, that part hadn't been installed yet. So the only way to get the door open was to leave the vent window open so you can reach the inside door handle. And for the trunk - otta luck, dude. Needless to say I passed on that one.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by nassaubayman
This thread reminds me of a '68 coupe I looked at a couple months ago. The guy shaved the handles off the car. No key holes or ***** anywhere on the outside of the car. You needed a remote to get in the doors or trunk. Problem is, that part hadn't been installed yet. So the only way to get the door open was to leave the vent window open so you can reach the inside door handle. And for the trunk - otta luck, dude. Needless to say I passed on that one.
"Man it's chilly today let me just close this vent window"
next day...
"...Turns around to drive the honda to work."

i would install the remote before i shaved the handles, then again i wouldn't shave the handles at all
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

When I was a kid, the trunk lock on my Dad's 63 Galaxie 500 didn't work. When he needed to get inside the trunk he would get me to climb through the removed back seat and manipulate the mechanism to pop the trunk. Climbing over welding gear, spare tire, and rusty lug wrenches wasn't my idea of fun even when I was 8! When I bought my 06 GT I noticed the "glow in the dark" trunk escape handle. I actually laughed and when the salesman asked me why, I told him, "I already know how to get out of a locked trunk". I bet he's still confused over that one.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Yea,
Just pop out the back seat.. IF its a coupe its easy as pie.. You're lucky, get this.. I lost my trunk lock. After getting back from paint I was missing the little clip that hold the trunk lock in. I figured the lock would stay in place while I waited for the new clip to come in.. The day that the clip came in, my wife called me and told me I got a package.. I got home and went to put on the clip and my damn cylinder had fallen out somewhere on the I-5 in San Diego.. So now I have the clip and no lock.. Carma?? I think so.. I must have pissed someone off..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

God this may sound really obvious, but what the heck...

If you climb in through the back seat, don't light your lighter to see back to the lock; use a flashlight. Many Mustang trunks have gas fumes from tiny cracks in the tank and filler tube. Sometimes they are so minor you never smell anything.

Boom,

CP
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

#1 If your doors are unlocked, go through the rear seat #2 If not, call a locksmith. #3 Get a spare key! The first think I did after getting my car was having a spare made.

Quick Reply: Locked my keys in the trunk