Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel Tanks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
8v-of-fury

Default Fuel Tanks.

Hi fellas!

This is a Cougar related problem but the reason I am asking on here is because I need a gas tank for a 1967 Cougar. Now from what I read 1964-1968 mustangs and 67-68 utilize the same gas tanks.

Can anyone verify this? Reason I am asking is that according to parts websites they have the same part number for all 64-68 mustangs and 67-68 cougars on a few of the same tanks.. but one tank that is cheaper you can only get it for the mustangs of 65-67..

Is there any difference in the tanks that you guys know of?

thanks a lot guys.

8v

p.s Or if you've got a solid method of tank repair?? I have a pinhole in the bottom most section of the tank.. and it dribbles out, one drop every two seconds or so.. So its not a gaping hole :P However that one drop every few seconds adds up eh? Do you guys know of anyway to repair it? I was thinking I could clean it up and tar it maybe?? Problem is I don't know if it will eat it away thanks again guys
Old 04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Gun Jam

its already full of rust and leaking. Just get a new tank it will be clean, rust free, solid, wont blow up trying to weld it and it cost only 98 bucks with a drain plug....Thats what I call having your cake and eating it too. Although I cant promise it will fit the cougar

-Gun
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
8v-of-fury

its a puncture not rust. the whole tank is tar coated. Its just while sitting i had some stuff under the rear of the car and the air deflated from the air shocks in the rear and i think it punctured the tank. Its definitely not a rust hole, just a small little puncture.

is welding the only option???? What about various Gas tank leak sealers i see in some auto stores?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Gun Jam on this one. My friend has 68 cougar and he asked me the same question. Fortunately for him, I had a spare one out of my 68 mustang. The one I gave him fit perfectly. I double checked my interchange guide just to be sure before we installed it. Best thing to do before you set up your fuel system is to make sure that you seal the tank when you drop it in through your trunk. That way you don't end up with any leaks and debris that may come up from the road into your trunk and cause damage later.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
8v-of-fury

sadly being 19 it isnt in the books to get a new gas tank.... I want to try and keep this old car going, but a $200 gas tank just aint in the funds. There's gotta be an easy temp solution to get her going now.. and ill replace it down the road (Which i have no problem doing when i can) but for now.. how can i fix this hole? its only a millimeter big.. there has to be a way.. I was thinking cleaning it up real good and tarring it real thick.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Gun Jam

take carb cleaner wash it off really well then wire brush the area around the puncture then wash with carb cleaner a 2nd time. Take chewing gum plug the hole and then wipe the excess off. Then take white trash weld (aka JB weld) and cover the hole and and about 1" around it...the gum stops the fuel from eating up the white trash weld and the white trash weld protects the gum....I think it it could work...
Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

If it was me, I would drop the tank, drain it, wait a few days for the fumes to exit the tank, make sure to store it outside, fabricate a small square of sheet metal, place a make a gasket on the tank and stick the patch panel to it then weld it to the tank. Make sure you use a very low temp and slow wire speed. Thats what I would do to fix it right the first time.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Here is a link to a new tank for only $70 http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3593=1892
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM
8v-of-fury

Now that is what i was looking for GUN JAM!! I plead the same thing over on a cougar forum and they insisted like it was the only option. NEW TANK!!

Stangman, I would love to do it right.. but im super tight on cash, and I don't have anyone who can weld. It took me three years to get it running, I had to rebuild the engine at the age of 17-18 it was just a bare block in the car.

I Wish i could put a new tank in, but i don't have the money, i also wish i could drop it and weld it up.. Maybe i will do that in the future..

But for now! GUN JAM that sounds like a killer plan.. Gas Doesn't eat Gum?? Cool
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
8v-of-fury

Originally Posted by stangtjk
Here is a link to a new tank for only $70 http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3593=1892

With shipping to Canada It works out to $133.. that's acceptable.. However I will try to patch this one first.. then if it dont work.. I will find SOMEONE to weld for me.. beats 130 dollars right?

Quick Reply: Fuel Tanks.