Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Light battery + radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

I personally don't like the idea of a battery capable of producing a huge spark located next to a 60's era fuel tank with no fireproof divider between the passenger compartment and the trunk. Sure there is other electrical wiring in the trunk but all of it runs through fuses which should blow and make for a small limited duration spark. The battery if shorted can continue to spark until all electrical energy in it is depleted. I feel the fireproof divider is a must whether the battery is back there or not, and if the battery is in the trunk, a box for it is mandatory. Twisted metal contacting the battery terminals whether the battery is sealed or not will create a situation prime for kaboom.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

i was going to suggest the Braille Auto battery but it seems someone has already linked it lol, they are great for saving space and weight and still have the cranking amps of a normal battery so you wont be losing anything. braille auto also has a website with alot more batteries and cool things to choose from. heres their site http://www.braillebattery.com/
Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

oh and with the braille battery i was taling about leaving it under the hood and not relocating it, unless you just wanted to, but they dont weigh hardly anything so like the guy before me said, the thought of a battery in the trunk with all those gas fumes is asking for trouble
Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Safety of battery in trunk is improved if the solenoid is also moved to the trunk, that way the cable from solenoid to starter is only hot during cranking, all other circuits are fused or engine driven.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:55 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure why you guys think the battery in the trunk is not safe bcause it is. It has been done safely by many people for many years. It is simple, easy, cheap and the best way to get a better front to rear weight ratio. Sure aluminum head help but at $1000 plus it is not economical. If you don't want your battery in the trunk then by all means don't move it but if you are not moving it only becase you believe it is not safe then in my opinion you are wrong.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I agree... If you have enough gas fumes in your trunk to explode its because you have neglected the fuel hose, not sealed the tank to the trunk floor or something along those lines.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

If the solenoid remains in the engine compartment, the cable from battery to solenoid is hot all the time, and unfused with full battery power behind it. In the event of an accident it could short and the battery could explode or the car could catch on fire.

For an excellent read on the subject, check out M.A.D. Enterprises website.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
If the solenoid remains in the engine compartment, the cable from battery to solenoid is hot all the time, and unfused with full battery power behind it. In the event of an accident it could short and the battery could explode or the car could catch on fire.

For an excellent read on the subject, check out M.A.D. Enterprises website.
Thanks all for the info.

Do you think that standard relocation kits allow the solenoid to be in the trunk?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

No, standard relocation kits will not relocate the solenoid to the trunk. All of your cars electrical stuff is hooked to the battery side of the solenoid so relocating that to the trunk will take some major rewiring. If it is that big a concern for you I'm sure someone makes an inline fuse or breaker that could be installed to open the circuit if the battery shorts.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Axman I could not find anything on battery relocation on that web site. Can you link it?

Quick Reply: Light battery + radiator?