Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crimping AC Lines & Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Question Crimping AC Lines & Hoses

I have all new AC lines and hoses on my 65, since I converted to a Sanden compressor for 134A. Everything fits nicely except the suction hose ended up being way too long. So, I cut the end off to shorten it and now all the AC shops are telling me they can not install a new end with the line in the car. I do not intend on removing the evaporator unit again. Does anyone know of a place in central Texas that can install a new end on the hose to the compresor with the hose in the car?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

The reason that they are saying that is because the end fitting is swaged in a hydraulic swaging maching that is a bench mounted machine. I doubt that you will find a shop that can swage it in the car.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

There are two kinds of fittings that can be used. There is the ****** end and the beadlock. Both can be obtained with the 'O' ring male or female end (straight, 45 or 90 degree). Both of these fittings have hydraulic and manual type crimping tools. The problem with the manual type is that the crimping tool is usually held in a vise when the fittiings are crimped onto the hose. You might call around and ask if they have either type of manual crimping tool and if it could be done in the car. Is the end that you cut off in the engine compartment and is there enough room to work around it? Can you disconnect the other end of the hose and remove it without removing the evaporator and take just the hose into the shop to be crimped? Just suggestions I hope will work for you.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

As far as i know you gotta take the hose off to get a end crimped on it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is possible to cut the "crimped" part of the fitting off, slide the hose onto the fitting and just use a hose clamp.

Aftermarket air conditioning kits have been doing it this way for years...

It WILL work just fine, but I am NOT a fan...
Old 04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 109jb
The reason that they are saying that is because the end fitting is swaged in a hydraulic swaging maching that is a bench mounted machine. I doubt that you will find a shop that can swage it in the car.
This is what I was afraid the case would be. Thats what I have been told be several shops.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
It is possible to cut the "crimped" part of the fitting off, slide the hose onto the fitting and just use a hose clamp.

I actually considered that for a moment, but I think it will end up leaking and I really didn't want to do it that way. It might work though.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzzar
There are two kinds of fittings that can be used. There is the ****** end and the beadlock. Both can be obtained with the 'O' ring male or female end (straight, 45 or 90 degree). Both of these fittings have hydraulic and manual type crimping tools. The problem with the manual type is that the crimping tool is usually held in a vise when the fittiings are crimped onto the hose. You might call around and ask if they have either type of manual crimping tool and if it could be done in the car. Is the end that you cut off in the engine compartment and is there enough room to work around it? Can you disconnect the other end of the hose and remove it without removing the evaporator and take just the hose into the shop to be crimped? Just suggestions I hope will work for you.
The end that has been shortened is under the hood. The evaporator would have to be removed to remove and reinstall the hose. Although, I might be able to get the hose off, there is no way to reinstall it tight enought that it won't leak with the evaporator in the car. There is about 2 or so feet of hose under the hood that can be moved around, if that is what your asking about room to work around it.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD

AC high side hoses can run upwards of 250psi. I wouldn't trust that to a hose clamp. Even fuel injection lines, which run at 50-100psi, aren't usually trusted to hose clamps. When they are, they use special hose clamps that keep a constant pressure all the way around the hose.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
AC high side hoses can run upwards of 250psi. I wouldn't trust that to a hose clamp. Even fuel injection lines, which run at 50-100psi, aren't usually trusted to hose clamps. When they are, they use special hose clamps that keep a constant pressure all the way around the hose.
Like I said, companies like vintage air and other aftermarket a/c companies have been doing hose ends this way for years. I did this with an a/c added to a combine, the hoses are not problematic as far as blowing off or leaking,

Like I said again, I am not a fan of the procedure, mainly because I think it looks hokey.

The chances that the hose would blow off on a suction line is minimal.

These compaines don't advertise the way they do these hoses but.... that is what they do.