Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM
badazz68stang
2nd Gear Member

i know its not a mustang, or even dual exhaust, but i got a 3 inch turbo back exhaust done at my local exhaust shop for 30 bucks on my 94 legacy turbo. i supplied a 3 inch resonator, a 3 inch muffler, and the downpipe and they did the rest.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlexZi
I went to a dude who does late model cars, but also does classics too. Hes the one who quoted me 800 bucks...he can go screw himself. I called up a classic only shop and he recommended that I buy a kit because it will be cheaper than him bending the pipes...ger..Im annoyed.
Any reputable muffler shop should quote you less than $800 for the whole thing including the Flowmasters. They all have aluminized steel pipe and can customize a set of duals in an afternoon. Classic or modern type shop, it's all the same. It's usually not worth it to buy pipe kits, have them shipped, haul them to a shop, etc. The mmoney spent can go towards a custom set which will look cleaner to boot.

CP
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

I agree with you, but the thing is, I went to most of the shops I could think of, and I couldnt get a good quote. Ill try a few more this afternoon, but Im not expecting anything.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:25 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Just google "muffler shop" in your area or "exhaust shop" and call around for quotes.. Mine were done for $250 with an H Pipe, I provided the mufflers 2.5" out the rear
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I did that. Most of my results are monroe and minekie muffler shops, ect. I did find 2 more shops that Im going to check out today. All Im asking for is someone to slap on my headers and build a header back exhaust system (2.25") with and H-pipe. Im even supplying the headers and mufflers, so I dont get why I cant get a decent quote. Whenever I call a place for a quote they say "I cant really tell you over the phone, I need to see the car". So Im going to go to 2 shops in a few hours to see what they say.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

The high price is because you are asking them to install the headers. That's an important piece of info that I don't think the others knew when quoting their prices.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlexZi
"I cant really tell you over the phone, I need to see the car".
Any price you get over the phone is a useless number with no meaning whatsoever. Your better shops are trained to know better than to quote over the phone. I won't. How am I supposed to know your Mustang isn't converted to 4 wheel drive with a Hemi? Repairs shops get calls all the time of folks looking to save a nickle or to get a slip-of-the-tounge lowball quote then hold the shop to it. I won't play that game and "I need to see the car" is a polite way of testing your true intent to get the job done versus just playing a game of phone shopper.

1- You'll get a better job at a "I need to see your car" shop than most other places.
2- You also might pay a bit more...
3- When questioning the end results, return to 1

Lowball shops like to "bait and switch". They'll be the first to tell you the price didn't included parts or labor.

Ask around about which shop does better work. Go to one in person with the true intent of getting the work done. Then, if you find a price too high, walk away. If you find one with a ridiculously low price, RUN away.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Any price you get over the phone is a useless number with no meaning whatsoever. Your better shops are trained to know better than to quote over the phone. I won't. How am I supposed to know your Mustang isn't converted to 4 wheel drive with a Hemi? Repairs shops get calls all the time of folks looking to save a nickle or to get a slip-of-the-tounge lowball quote then hold the shop to it. I won't play that game and "I need to see the car" is a polite way of testing your true intent to get the job done versus just playing a game of phone shopper.

1- You'll get a better job at a "I need to see your car" shop than most other places.
2- You also might pay a bit more...
3- When questioning the end results, return to 1

Lowball shops like to "bait and switch". They'll be the first to tell you the price didn't included parts or labor.

Ask around about which shop does better work. Go to one in person with the true intent of getting the work done. Then, if you find a price too high, walk away. If you find one with a ridiculously low price, RUN away.
Yeah, I haven't got any quotes over the phone (I only called 1 shop for a quote). All of the quotes I mentioned are by bringing the car in and telling them what I want. Trust me, I have full intention of getting the job done now.

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
The high price is because you are asking them to install the headers. That's an important piece of info that I don't think the others knew when quoting their prices.
Does installing headers really take that long that the labor costs for installing the headers would be the same as the total cost for installing and bending an exhaust system?
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

Have you had your exhaust manifolds off recently? The place I went to was very hesitant to install the headers until I told him the engine was rebuilt one month before and it only had 500 miles on it. He was not concerned anymore. I paid $500 (cash) for 2.5" duals with h pipe, flowmaster 40's, install of longtube headers, and a carb rebuild. I had it done at a driveshaft shop that had the equipment to do exhaust and the guy did it after hours. He did a great job, its all welded except for where the muffler mounts. He even made his own mounts. His business is all word of mouth.

The key is to ask other classic owners in the areas, the best prices but still with good quality work are sometimes at places you wouldn't expect.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I just went to another shop. (Performance Custom Exhaust was the name). He quoted me $300-400 for the headers alone, then 300 per side for the exhaust...That puts me just under $1000 bucks...no thank you. Im going back tomorrow so he can put my car on the lift and give me an exact quote...this was just an estimate. Im not expecting any good news.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.