Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

Not to Burst your bubble, but I bought that same kit from summit and was very unhappy with it. You may have better luck, but for me, the mufflers were the wrong offset for the tailpipes or vice-versa. I couldnt get anything to line up right. I tried taking it to a shop to have them install them and after driving the car there with open headers and the new exhaust clanking around in the trunk, they said that it would be cheaper for them to just do a whole new exhaust for $250. I ended up sending it back.
Also I thought I remember reading somewhere that you had to raise the engine a little in order to install long tubes. I might be wrong but maybe that is where the high price comes in. Manifold bolts can also be a b%#ch to get out.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:14 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, Im not doing anything with that kit unless I cant find a shop to do a custom exhaust for me at a reasonable price. They have a 90 day return policy, so Ill return it if I find a deal on a custom exhaust from a shop around here. Im really hoping I can. If its the header install thats making it so expensive, Ill find a way to do it myself.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

I would go for the original kit on ebay with your mufflers and headers. Then go to a midas or monroe muffler and get quotes on the install. They will prob. be prettyr easonable and they ussually let you watch them working. I had Midas bend pipes for my old mustang about 5-6yrs ago and I supplied headers and mufflers. Was only $200. Just because it is Midas, doesn't mean they can't install/weld up the kits. Just find a shop you are comfortable with. A lot of times the guys pay extra attention because it is a cool old car. Helps to throuw the installer a twenty to get him in the right frame of mind.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

The kit I got off summit is coming today, so Ill bring it down to some shops and see what they quote me for install.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

It probably is.. You can definately install your own headers and save some money that way.. It takes some time to pull those manifolds off and get the headers in... Jack up the front end and support it on some jack stands, pull out the old manifolds, and see what you need to do to get the long tubes in.. I installed mine from under the car. Had a little cussing and there is still a blood stain on the header collector, baked on.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Im willing to do that, I just don't think my jack stands get the car high enough off the ground to get long tubes in. If the quote at the next shop im going to is real high because of the headers, Ill do them myself.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

For those that are quoting custom installation prices:

Did your shop have a mandrel bender? Or did they use crush type benders? I'm wondering if that is why some of the quotes are coming in higher or lower.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

mandrel bender
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I'd assume most of the quotes to be for crush bent tubing. A mandrel bender would cost way too much for your average exhaust shop. I don't know of anywhere in my area that does their own mandrel bent exhaust. Some places might offer to install pre-bent mandrel tubing but since that will require a lot more cutting and welding the price would be much higher.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Finally! A good quote. I drove 25 minutes to a place called American Muffler Shop. $325 for the exhaust system with an X-pipe. Sounds perfect to me. Then he wants another $250 to install the headers. Im really tempted to knock that extra $250 off the price by doing the headers myself, but Im afraid it would be too hard of a job for one person. $575 for it all isnt too bad though.

Quick Reply: Good deal on exhaust, or should I look elsewhere.