Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

aftermarket fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
hagels68

Default aftermarket fenders

how much difference is there between original tooling fenders and quarters and the aftermarkets.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
JamesW

Most people feel that NOS or rustfree original sheetmetal is always preferable. I've got aftermarket fenders, doors, and hood, and I can attest that the body lines are terrible.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:51 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Repop fenders for a 65/66 are usually not that bad as far as fitment. for 67/68 I have tried twice to use repops and both times I could not get them to work. I have 30 plus years doing body work on these old Mustangs and trust me you don't want the headache. The typically don't fit well around the cowl area and getting the headlight bucket on is a nightmare.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Tomrob77
2nd Gear Member

why is it so difficult to get a new one to fit.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
Repop fenders for a 65/66 are usually not that bad as far as fitment. for 67/68 I have tried twice to use repops and both times I could not get them to work. I have 30 plus years doing body work on these old Mustangs and trust me you don't want the headache. The typically don't fit well around the cowl area and getting the headlight bucket on is a nightmare.
I actually had that problem with the 65/66.
Hit or miss I guess.
Doors are also terrible on the very top, on 69s.
At least, it's my experience with it.

Doesn't matter, lots of blocking regardless with repro...
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Tomrob the fitment issues are directly related to cheap fenders that are not stamped out right. Some times they just flat don't fit because they are not the right shape.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

I bought foreign repos and returned them. Poor quality, fit, thin metal etc. Replaced with ford tooling for my 67. There was a little finegeling required, but all in all much better quality than the foreign junk. I would buy them again. Hood is very nice as well. IMO worth the money. Forget the foreign cheepos.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

I just received some repro fenders for my 70 yesterday. I put them on to check them out and the fit looks OK. They will require a little tweaking, but not too much. They look close enough that once I do the tweaking and blocking I'll be happy with them. They are definitely not a slap on and go affair though.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

My P.O. put on a passenger side reproduction fender (How do I know? It says Made in Taiwan on the inside :P). I have to admit though, it fits perfectly and looks like the real thing. I dont know where he got them, and it was put on sometime in the early 90s or late 80s. I am almost certain. It looks fine though. I guess it depends on where you get it from, but nothing beats original parts.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention. The original post asked about quarter panels too. I have repro quarter panel skins on my 70 Fastback and they fit well. I had to make a few small pie cuts where the skin wraps into the door post so that I could get the contour to match the door skin more closely. It was OK, but I wanted to minimize filler when blocking time comes around. Would have needed about a 1/8" if I hadn't made the cuts. Now a skim coat of filler will take care of it. The only real problem I see with them is where the rear valence attaches. On the originals, there is a concave depression where the bracket and bolt for the lower outer attachment of the valence go. On the repros, there is no such depression so you either have to cut that piece off the old one, fabricate it, or mount the valence a different way. I chose the last method and removed the bracket and stud from the valence. Once the quarter skin was all welded in I then positioned the valence and drilled a hole through both the valence and the quarter skin. Then I welded a stud made from a cut off bolt to the valence. I removed the valence and welded the stud on the back side and ground the exposed side flush. I also enlarged the hole in th quarter skin so that the valence goes on a little easier. When installed I am the only one who knows that the back end of the quarter panel isn't right as the part that is not right is hidden by the valence.

Quick Reply: aftermarket fenders