Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Assembling a Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yeah, those Gas-A-Justs are stiff.

My Edelbrocks and roller perches smooth things out nicely, but the ride's still a bit rough with my 540's. I wouldn't want to ride around SLO county with 620's. The roads are just too poorly paved around here 620's would do what racin66 mentioned: cause the front end to jump around while corning on rough roads. I think a slightly bigger front sway bar and a small rear bar will compensate nicely for the added body roll (in severe corning conditions) of the lighter springs.

And David, you're welcome any time to swing by Napa to bs and check out my car. I work Fri-Mon, at least for the next couple weeks.

Last edited by Starfury; 05-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I do really like the ride height on your car James, I'll probably try to shoot for something like that.

But with the talking of coils what are peoples opinions on progressive rate coils, I can imagine they are more toward racing but can someone educate me on them?

Its sounding more and more that Gas-A-Justs are to avoid in the rear, might even be worth replacing in the front.

And if you are back in town 4reboy all three of us should get together sometime. My car isn't much to look at until I fix my clutch setup and weld that hole by my shifter. My buddy with the plasma cutter and welder is down right now.

And its funny to hear you guys calling SLO county roads rough. Compared to back home these roads are incredibly smooth. But then again they don't spend money on roads in the Detroit area and then the salt and winters certainly don't help. Just what I was used to growing up.

Last edited by remicks; 05-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Four of us, as Jonward lives down here in SLO as well.

I looked at progressive coils and decided against them. You can't cut them without risking severely unpredictable spring rate changes, and the spring rates they're offered in are either too soft or too stiff for my tastes. They make great coils for someone looking for a smooth ride with slightly improved manners in their street car, but they're not going to stiffen the front end up enough at lower limits of travel to limit body roll. After all, they have to compress to get stiffer.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Progressive rate are a waste really. They're not stiff enough to be a performance spring but not quite soft enough to be a comfort spring. Under larger suspension travel they firm up, but they have to be compressed before that happens, so they generate body roll on hard cornering.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:12 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Tad, thanks I'll try to do that sometime, maybe this weekend. And I guess I'll add some 540lb 1" inch drops to the list I'm definitely looking into the roller spring perches as well, saw your post about that before. Probably going to get the roller idler arm as well to help with steering effort if I decide to rip off my power steering because its been giving me problems for the past 7 months and it on jackstands back in long beach

remicks, I didn't know you were in SLO as well, I thought it was just Jon, Tad and myself we all definitely need to get together then, where are you at? Cal Poly? Cuesta? shoot me a PM
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

I have 1" lowered springs with about half a coil cut off, cant remember if their 620 or 540, shelby drop, 1" mid-eye springs, kyb's all around, poly bushings all around, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 7/8" rear sway bar. I dont hear any bushing squeeking at all, the rear does get a little jumpy if you hit bumps or cracks in a turn.
And when you mash the gas, it goes wherever it wants to, but I think thats an alignment issue. never got it realigned after replacing a messed up center link.

17x8 wheels btw

Old 05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

So progressive coils definitely don't seem worth the extra money or practical for my application.

I guess I will try later this week or friday if it isn't too busy at work to get with opentracker and get a basic suspension upgrade going. Something to do while I wait to get the tranny tunnel repairs and clutch pedal adjustment done to my car.