Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Windshield installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

Default Windshield installation

I will be setting my windshield this weekend. I normally use the butal rope. Anybody have any suggestions or tips?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

year would be helpful :P
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

Sorry, 69 fastback.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Isn't the '69 a glue-in windwhield? If so, the rope isn't going to be needed. I'd probably just call a mobile glass company to come to your house and do it. I've always done my own glass on the early models with the split gaskets, but have never glued one in. I've noticed that the mobile glass guys always tape the windshield in-place when they're done.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Anth

I had the windscreen replaced on my non Ford Mustang recently.
It took the guy an hour to do.

The glue is an instant grab kind and you get one go at placing the screen.
Remember that the windscreen contributes 30% of the vehicles structural strength.

I understand that the guys who replace windscreens will fit a none supplied screen too. As far as I know in the UK the rate is ab out £60 so roughly $100 I'd guess.

Oh and its taped into place using masking tape, just to make sure it doesnt move. I was advised to wait 3 hours before driving the vehicle.

Of course, if its not a glue in screen you can totally ignore the ramblings of an Englishman
Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

You Brits are so funny, don't play silly buggers with the windscreen have the professionals do it and then check under the bonnet and in the boot! I agree though I always have the pros do my glue in windsceens. The 69 is a glue in.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I removed window on my 70 when fixing my cowl. Ended up taking hours trying to cut out with a knife and ended up cracking anyway. Lesson learned was paysomeone to remove!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
greenbay stang
1st Gear Member

The thing is the two shops I trust will not install the original. They will sell me a new one and install but won't install the orignal. To me its not a big deal, I installed the glue-in windshields on my 69 Camaro and on my 70 Cahllenger. I guess I was just wondering if anybody had any tricks for mustangs. The butal rope is what most of the manufators used on the glue-in back in the day so strenght is not an issue unless ford did something different than GM and Mopar.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by greenbay stang
The thing is the two shops I trust will not install the original. They will sell me a new one and install but won't install the orignal. To me its not a big deal, I installed the glue-in windshields on my 69 Camaro and on my 70 Cahllenger. I guess I was just wondering if anybody had any tricks for mustangs. The butal rope is what most of the manufators used on the glue-in back in the day so strenght is not an issue unless ford did something different than GM and Mopar.
Let me know how it goes because I will be doing the same evenntually with my 1970 Mustang.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You're actually supposed to use 3M bedding compound. Most window glass shops don't have anybody that knows how to do this anymore, so they usually pass on the jobs, or screw it up if they try.

Quick Reply: Windshield installation