Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What is this horrible noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Default What is this horrible noise?

I must confess I have been absent a few weeks. The demands of work (which thankfully, I still have) have taken most of my free time.
However, as my 65 nears complete reassembly I did take it out today for a real drive for the first time since I started putting it back together. All was well the first five miles or so and then a very strong banging, clunking, knocking noise started and got worse quickly. I did get back home (about one mile) and in the process ruled out the engine and transmission. It is coming from the left front and is in sync with the rotation of the wheels. I can feel it in the brake pedal as well. Just after I got this car a year nearly two years ago I had the brakes replaced by a local shop. Since that time the car probably has traveled less than 50 miles total. For the past year and half I have not driven it all all while I worked on the body. It has manual drum brakes all around. I am thinking something let go in the right front. Sounded so bad I am dreading taking a look.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Gun Jam

jack up the front and turn em by hand...should be obvious...remove wheel...inspect

Happy hunting

-Gun
Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Do you have power steering? I remember when my power steering leak first started around February I would get a knocking noise that I could feel through my pedals. It wasnt in sync with the turning of the wheels, it seemed more random. For some reason the knocking stopped once my power steering system was drained of fluid. I just got got it fixed last week and no more noises. I dont know if this is your problem though, just throwing it out there.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

The guess at the top of my list is a bad/loose wheel bearing...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:08 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

+1 and i think KMD wants you to think with your dipstick Jimmy lol
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I was following my brother once, a similar noise began, and suddenly the LF wheel came off, went under the firewall, throwing the front of the car 5' off the ground!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Honey gold,

If you have the money, maybe it's time for disc.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lunarweasel
Honey gold,

If you have the money, maybe it's time for disc.
If it were a DD, I would switch, but I am keeping it all original...including such wonderful features as manual drums, AM radio, lap belts only, etc.

Wheel bearing, huh. Never done one of those before. Well, at least most everything on an old Mustang is simple. I probably can't check it this week. Last week of work before a week's vacation in Vegas. But, when I get back I still have another week off to work on it.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:52 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Gotcha!
Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

It is pretty easy and quick to change out wheel bearings. Should be atwo hour job at worst even for a first timer..

Bearings are likely to be in stock at NAPA or AutoBone...

AND,,, imo drum brakes are normally just fine...

Quick Reply: What is this horrible noise?