Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Plug wires - options and experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:53 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default Plug wires - options and experiences?

Alright, so I need a set of wires. I'm currently running Ford Racing 8mm wires, and I hate them because the lengths are screwy. They're meant to be run around the side of the valve covers, and I run mine over the top (the way they should be run, and the best way to avoid cross-firing #'s 7 and 8), so it's a messy nightmare. That, and one of my connections is corroded, so they need to go.

What I need is a set of wires with HEI ends on the distributor side and 135* plug boots on the other end, with an 8-12" coil wire with an HEI connector on one end and classic male prong coil boot on the other. The plug wire lengths need to be set up to run over the valve covers, so #'s 1 and 5 need to be longer and #'s 4 and 8 need to be shorter than many of the available sets.

I remember hearing some good reviews on Taylor wires, so I took a look and found that their website application and product info guides are horrible. In addition, Summit has both Taylor's 51057 and 51058 wires listed as identical. Then my roommate gives me a couple horror stories about Taylor wires and under-hood lightning storms.

Looking at MSD's site...their application guide is worse than Taylor's. I can't find anything there aside from basic product info.

Moroso's 73675's look nice, especially for the price, but I don't know about the length.

I could build a set, but I'm lazy:P

Anybody have any recommendations or personal experience? (If anybody recommends solid-core, they're going to recieve a swift kick in the *** :P)
Old 05-11-2009, 01:12 AM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

get some solid cores

bring it on
Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I know where you sleep:P
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Solid cores, heh. Talk about cross firing. And listening to the radio should be fun as well.

Not to mention that if you try and turn the dizzy to set timing while the engine is running with a high output ignition and have solid cores, it'll arc through the insulation and shock the crap out of you.

Go on, ask me how I know.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

LOL underhood lightning storms.
If anyone knows a set that fits perfectly let me know as well.
At the moment I'm probably running the same ones (they just look it, so I guess). Came with engine. They actually don't look too bad.
For the 289 I just got a set that needs cutting and clamping yourself.
I know you said you're lazy but I still think that is the only option to get it right.

Kalli

Kalli
Old 05-11-2009, 05:11 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

IMHO, you'll have to break down and trim a set yourself. Not that big a deal, really, you may even be able to trim the set you have, with the right tool. I have done it many times.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I've never found a set that fits right. After many brands that fell apart or performed poorly (Accel;, Taylor, Summit, etc.), I now use MSD. You have to trim and crimp to fit, but they give you a neat little crimping/trimming tool that works well. Order the set with the 135 degree spark plug ends. They come with both standard and HEI ends for crimping.

Actually, these Moroso's might do the trick:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by fakesnakes; 05-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

I have a set of Accel 8.8's on my 331 with an hei dist and 135 degree bo0ts for the plugs, pretty sure its 135 degree at least. They run across the tops of the valve covers, dont have any issue with lengths, crossfires, or anything.

They will be getting replaced if they wont ho0k up to my new dist., but theyve worked great for me.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I don't think you'll ever find an off the shelf set that will please you, the best bet is to spend the 15-30 minutes custom fitting a set.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:49 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I like the MSD cut to fit...

Not cheap, but they will last well unless they are in DIRECT contact with a header tube.

The only wires I have ever used that fit to my satisfaction are the ones that I cut to fit.

Quick Reply: Plug wires - options and experiences?