Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'68 Shelby Progress...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Venomus68
1st Gear Member

Default '68 Shelby Progress...

I have done a couple differnet things here and there due to missing parts and money. I have started some of the body work including the trunk lid and the side scoops. For the front I want to bond the 4 peices together to make it one peice ('68 shelby GT500 front valance, both headlight buckets and the nose panel piece.) That way I think it will look better and be easier. I bonded on the upper side scoops and started sanding it down. I decided to get the scoops flush with the car just for loooks and fill in the gaps all the way around. I fit the trunk lid for the most part but since i had to line it up with the line in the middle of the car it pused it over 1/4 of an inch. It fits snug on one side but on the other im going to have to add some.My dad (fakesnakes) has gotten some good hours in on my wiring and everything is done except for the dash. I had no place to mount the fuse box to i managed to squeeze it behind the cowl air vent. It's a close fit but it fits just fine. I am still missing the important things on the car such as exhaust, steering column, guages, and a brake distributuion block. Until then I have plenty to do, but I hope to get it started sometime soon.

Last edited by Venomus68; 05-12-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Looks like its coming along good. I went the seamless way as well however you might want to reconsider the nose section. Leave it as is.. just bolted up from the bottom. If you ever need to take the fenders off then you still can without breaking the seam. I'm all for the buckets and fenders being seamless though as it makes the front end look cleaner and longer.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

nice lines. what car did you rip that fusebox out of?
i have to buy that aircleaner next month. looks great. I have the same valve covers (that's the reason).
What headers are those? they have some kind of a self made feel to them ?!
I'd say where you are you probably have probably lots to do until money comes back in :-) It's all fun jobs though

Kalli
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Venomus68
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
nice lines. what car did you rip that fusebox out of?
i have to buy that aircleaner next month. looks great. I have the same valve covers (that's the reason).
What headers are those? they have some kind of a self made feel to them ?!
I'd say where you are you probably have probably lots to do until money comes back in :-) It's all fun jobs though

Kalli
Kalli: The fuse box is actually a universal kit from EZ-Wiring. All you have to do is unroll and put the connections on. The headers are Patriot Clippsters (shorties) I purchased off of Summit Racing. Yeah I'm with you, the look of both the aircleaner and the valve covers gives this car some good looks under the engine bay! For some reason about 5 brands make it for about $130, but I got mine from Mustangs Unlimited for about $80! great qualitly aswell, it would look even better if my car didn't have an inch of dust on it!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I'm not a big fan of going seamless. Over time, the joint between large panels, or steel and plastic/fibreglass, or even steel and cast metal always cracks.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

i was wondering when u would update us on progress looks good
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I'd have had my car in primer now if it wasn't for his damn wiring!

Actually, his car is looking great and he is really doing an excellent job! He was crawling around under it the other day while we were connecting the starter, engine ground strap, etc. saying, "oh yeah, this is a cool car. It is perfect for me. I love it!"

Last edited by fakesnakes; 05-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.