Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Dropped a nut into the intake...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

I would remove the intake. If it happens to be sitting where it hasn't gone into a cylinder yet, blowing air could send it in and then he would have to pull the heads.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:31 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I would not pull the intake until I spent at least a day with a magnet on the end of a probe and some compressed air as Kalli mentioned above.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Joe67
Banned

Well, if you really don't want to pull the manifold, try removing the valve covers, and taking all the tension off all the valves so it wont go down in the cylinder, THEN use compressed air to find it.
Overall your in a tough spot =/ you could get lucky and get it out easily, if not it may require a good bit of work.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe67
Well, if you really don't want to pull the manifold, try removing the valve covers, and taking all the tension off all the valves so it wont go down in the cylinder, THEN use compressed air to find it.
Overall your in a tough spot =/ you could get lucky and get it out easily, if not it may require a good bit of work.
You could bend a valve or nick a valve or seat that way.

Why is everyone acting like R&R an intake is brain surgery. A couple hours a new set of gaskets and a torque wrench and its done. It sounds like he has already tried and tried to fish it out. I would not risk damaging the engine or risk it getting into a cylinder because then he is worse off.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

You could also try a shop vac with a smaller attatchment or peice of tubing in the end.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Now there's an idea.....
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by 109jb
You could bend a valve or nick a valve or seat that way.

Why is everyone acting like R&R an intake is brain surgery. A couple hours a new set of gaskets and a torque wrench and its done. It sounds like he has already tried and tried to fish it out. I would not risk damaging the engine or risk it getting into a cylinder because then he is worse off.
We are trying to make this as easy as possible for him, worst case scenario he removes the intake and head, maybe fine for you, but (not to insult the OP) maybe not so easily done to a novice... And i myself would rather not chance a mistake putting things back together if i can avoid it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Se4mus1
2nd Gear Member

thanks a lot or all these ideas! i have tried a shop vac but the problem with that is at the end of the one i used the plastic part wont let me get it into the actual manifold.i gues ill try with the magnet some more today, if not im just gonna pull the intake. i feel like i made such a retarded mystake... how much would the new gaskets and silicone cost, could i reuse the coolant?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Take a piece of rubber hose (fuel line) and use duct tape to attach it to your shop vac hose. Then you should be able to get it down in there and maybe save yourself a headache.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Joe67
Banned

Originally Posted by TexasAxMan
Take a piece of rubber hose (fuel line) and use duct tape to attach it to your shop vac hose. Then you should be able to get it down in there and maybe save yourself a headache.
Thats the ticket

Quick Reply: Dropped a nut into the intake...