Classic Mustangs (Tech)Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Just thought I'd throw up some picture of my 1970 Sportsroof (Fastback) project. I just got it off of the homemade rotisserie and got the rear end cleaned up and back on. I throw a couple of those pics on later tonight. I started with a rusty Midwest pile of crap, but now it is coming together. Parts replaced so far: L & R trunk floors, L & R rear frame extensions, Tail light panel, Trunk lid, L & R quarter panels, L & R outer wheelhouses, L & R inner and outer rockers, L & R long floor boards, L & R toe floor boards, L & R door skins, everything forward of the firewall, and of course my home brew rack and pinion.
A few of how it started:
Working on the back:
On my homemade rotisserie:
New front end:
Back end all fixed up:
Rack and pinion fitted (Not done yet)
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members. Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Wow. That car looks great. My project is coming along pretty good. Everything fit pretty well up to the doors. I'm a little worried about the repro fenders. They look pretty good so far, but I haven't had a good chance to do much fitting of them. I know they will need tweaking, just not sure how much. I really wanted to use my original fenders, but they were rusting from the inside out. They looked OK on the outside except down at the bottom rear, but when I pulled them off I found out that most of the front of them was literally paper thin because of the rust on the inside of the wheel well area. Just too far gone to save.
For starters it will get the 351W that came with it and i gave it a rebuild to correct some problems. It had a 0.010 overbore and standard size pistons and a bent pushrod. I rebuilt it 0.030 overbore (with correct pistons), new timing chain, reused the mild crane cam, new lifters, re-used the holley dominator intake, new edelbrock carb, and a few extra pieces in there too along with the standard stuff like bearings, oil pump...
I plan later to get a 351W roller block and build up about 400-450 hp 393 stroker, but to get it on the road the sorta stock 351W will work. This will keep money flowing to getting it on the road rather than having a real nice expensive engine with no car to put it in.
Yep. We built a new house in the country about 3 years ago and I was able to convince the wife it would be a good idea for me to have a 40' x 54' pole barn so that the heated garage attached to the house was always available for her car. Truthfully she hasn't regretted it because it keeps all my stuff out of her territory. Bad thing is when I had a small space I had to be organized. Now that I have the big barn I have become sloppy and disorganized.
Whats the info on the home brew R&P. I think I still see the stock style center link if I'm not mistaken?
Yeah. That's a portion of the stock centerlink so that I can still use the stock tie rods. Here is a link to the whole story on the R & P. I'm getting ready to drop the engine in just to test clearances with the R&P. Once that is done I will update the R&P thread.
Not to push this off topic, but what size rims and wheels are those and what springs are you using 2+2GT? That is the exact stance I want my '69 to have.
109jp what are you gonna be putting under the hood?
Those are 15x7 Magnum 500's, on stock BOSS 302 springs. The front fenders have been rolled as exact copies of the BOSS, in order to assure clearance.
The orange car now has a BOSS 302 engine, like the stripe implies. Originally an F code sportsroof, it pretended to be a mach1 for a while, too. The whole car is now "correct" BOSS 302, except the VIN.
Not my car, but you can see more of it here, including how rotten it was:
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware
corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford
Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor