Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

on stock 66 where were the factory am speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

Default on stock 66 where were the factory am speakers

i have factory am radio but the guy took the speakers out and i dont see where it went. the kick panel have no room and none in the back deck.

thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the stock speakers was in the center of the dash
Old 05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

so i guess it only had one? what are people doing about a replacement i dont know if i can find one to fit the orignal hole. also it would suck to have one speaker. i will have an aftermaket radio maybe in the trunk.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

CJ Pony has some in their catalog that replace orig with two speakers to fit in dash hole. They also have replacement kick panels with speakers already installed.
One day....
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

make a piece of wood that fits behind the back seat and put two 6x9 speakers in it

cjponyparts makes replica tape player radio and possibly cd players. you can plug in your ipod and even a cd changer. it fits the original holes in the front of the dash. if not put a head unit in the glove box. it will do you no good in the trunk

Last edited by knuckless; 05-15-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tempoffroad
so i guess it only had one? what are people doing about a replacement i dont know if i can find one to fit the orignal hole. also it would suck to have one speaker. i will have an aftermaket radio maybe in the trunk.
There is actually a factory speaker hole in the center of the rear shelf that fits a 6x9. There are even 4 holes for the mounting screws.

The dash speaker is a 4x10. However, there are kick panels with speaker pods for 6.5" speakers. The rear shelf(package tray) can be modified to fit 2 6x9 speakers. Which is what was done to mine(see pic above) decades befor I got the car.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yah in a 66 there's only the one in center of console
I have two speakers in front (you can buy kickpanels so you can mount them under the dash on the side right in front of the door), and two 6x9 in the rear (cut job). Only thing I'm missing is a radio, but didn't see the need for one yet. car is entertaining as is
Old 05-16-2009, 08:23 AM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

the radio that i was going to put in the trunk was just for cd or ipod not for radio.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

There were several locations for stock 66 speakers. The base AM pushbutton and AM/FM pushbutton radio had a single 4x10 in the dash, between the defroster outlets. Optionally, either could also have a 6x9 speaker in the center of the rear deck, under a metal grille that was painted the same color as the package tray. Cars with the AM/8-Track Stereo had a pair of 4x8" speakers mounted in the doors, 7" from the front edge of the door. The speakers and grilles are available, as well as the wiring harness.

If you are going aftermarket, and want to maintain original appearance, there is a very good cosmetic copy of the AM/FM available. It is a modern radio, operates like the original, except the pusbuttons do not tune the radio, they operate a remote CD player, if you choose to install one. For speakers, I recommend using a 4x10 dual voice coil speaker in the front, with the LF and LR channels connected to it, and a 6x9 dual voice coil speaker (under the color-matched speaker grille) in the rear, with the RF and RR channel in it. Gives good sound, much better than the old twin round speakers, and excellent stereo separation, since the dash and package tray are quite far apart, and they have the glass as a sound reflector. All of this is available new.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JHPSTANG
CJ Pony has some in their catalog that replace orig with two speakers to fit in dash hole. They also have replacement kick panels with speakers already installed.
One day....
Many of the Mustangs parts houses have these options. I personally like the pair of speakers that replace the single. I don't like the look of the kickpanel speakers.

Quick Reply: on stock 66 where were the factory am speakers