Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Whats The Best Harness For 68 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 AM
mstanggt350

Default Whats The Best Harness For 68 Mustang

I am restoring my 68 coupe back to its formal glory, but i would like to use the best parts the first time around. Ive been lookin threw the forum to try and get an idea of whats the best complete wire harness, But no one has asked this question from what i have seen. I have seen alot of people say that the painless harness is pretty good but i have been lookin at the Ron francis express series.

Does Anybody Have an idea of which is better?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:03 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Without question I would use the original factory type, which is available brand new. Installs quickly and easily (for a wiring harness) and of course is a direct fit, because it's exactly like the original.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

You will not go wrong with either the Ron Francis or Painless (I prefer Painless simply because I have used it several times in the past and their instruction manual can't be beat). If you are restoring your car, use the original style which is available through most Mustang parts retailers.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM
mstanggt350

well i looked into the factory harness but i am not using all factory parts does that even matter, I am Using All performance i want everything upgraded to new basically
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Ron Fransis is great, easy install, a bit cheaper than painless but the instructions are not to user friendly.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

I would check out American Autowire before deciding on a purchase.

http://www.americanautowire.com/67-68mustang.html

I used a Painless kit and am pleased with the product, but this kit is superior in every way. I believe it is the only kit that comes with all the factory correct plugs. If the car is going to be returned to stock form then the factory replacement harness' are the way to go. However if the car will be upgraded with aftermarket improvements, a modern harness can better accomodate these upgrades.

Last edited by chillininnh; 05-17-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Wow, that American Autowires harness is sweet! I just read the write up and it will be the harness I use with my 67 when I start that project next winter.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

there is also www.centechwire.com
Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 PM
mstanggt350

I did alot of research today and the harness from autowire is the same painless kit around no different so i think i am going to go with the ron francis wire setup seems to be the best deal and price and they will customize the setup of the harness for the car
Old 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Your choice is going to depend on what you want for your car. If its going to be restored to original or concourse then factory OEM replacements are what your looking for. If you are looking to replace sections then either factory OEM or Painless are the way to go for simplicity. If your replacing the entire wiring system in a car thats not original or concourse then Ron Francis, Painless, Autowire, etc. The wiring quality and wire used in the aftermarket kits is of higher quality, will last longer and will be safer overall.

I just started rewiring our 67 a few days ago and after a lot of research decided on the Ron Francis Express kit. This is a custom wiring kit which differs from the Painless harness and should be known. It is basically single lengths of high quality wire which you run and cut to length. A few ends are terminated but most are not which in my case works out fine. The new headlight switch is included and wires are terminated already for that end.. plug in, run headlight, taillights, etc forward and back, cut, terminate and plug in. You can either soldier or buy male/female ends at Napa to plug in.

The kit only took a few hours to run everything but a few more days for me with all the other electronics going into our car. I'd recommend it to anyone experienced or not on a complete rewiring project.

Quick Reply: Whats The Best Harness For 68 Mustang