Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

suspension and brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

Default suspension and brake questions

Hey yall im currently workin on restomodding my 68 stang, its gunna have a basically stock 302 carbed roller motor with a t5 tranny, im seriously considering selling the t5 to recoupe some of my funds and just rnuning a c4 because it was an original auto car so itll be easier to set up, but anyways before i put alot of money into the motor i want to have the rest of the car ready, it will be a street driven car that ill use to cruise have some stop light to stop light fun and the occasional track visit, i want it to be able to have good weight transfer and squat good on launch, I by no means need a full drag suspension since it will be street driven but what would yall recomend, I was thinking maybe a 5 leaf mid eye pack and rebuild the front suspension and lower it about 1" or so, how would this set up work, I'd love to hear yalls opinions on what would work for me along with any links to parts or kits that would fit my needs. Also i want to add that i plan running a pretty fat rear tire, I'm contemplation mini tubbing it to fit a wide tire but I'm not sure yet, if anyone has any pics of their classics with fat tires with and without tubbing it I would love to see them. Also I want to upgrade to discs, probably just front for now ill do rears later but I want to run a 15" wheel, are there any kits that allow me to do this without costing me a fortune, this is a budget build for sure but I do want quality parts, I appreciate any help yall can give me and yalls opinions on my plans plus any changes yall would make. Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance!

Last edited by countryboy116; 05-18-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

If you hadn't said "track" in there, I'd say forget the 5-leafs, they'll make the car pretty stiff, not to your wife's liking, which would be a problem on cruise night.

You can get these cars to hook up well just by using GT springs, Traction Master™ bars, and a limited slip axle. A set of 235/60R15 steel radials should grab well enough to scare most of your passengers. Other sizes are possible, of course, see below.

All of the OEM style front disc kits will fit 15" wheels, they will even fit 14" wheels that were meant for discs, which is any styled steel factory wheel, and any 68 up standard wheel.

Mustang Wheel and Tyre Chart

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-27-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:12 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the reply, being 18 don't have to worry too much about a wife nagging about the ride quality lol, besides my girlfriend is used to riding in my 4x4 truck with mud tires so shes used to it, so the 5 leaf mid eye leaf pack is a good or bad idea? i want to get good weight transfer and hook well, im thinking about mini tubbing the car so i can fit a little wider tire about back but well see, do you know a kit that will allow me to use an oem style disc or what would yall recomend for me to swap to front discs and run 15s without killing my budget
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by countryboy116
thanks for the reply, being 18 don't have to worry too much about a wife nagging about the ride quality lol, besides my girlfriend is used to riding in my 4x4 truck with mud tires so shes used to it, so the 5 leaf mid eye leaf pack is a good or bad idea? i want to get good weight transfer and hook well, im thinking about mini tubbing the car so i can fit a little wider tire about back but well see, do you know a kit that will allow me to use an oem style disc or what would yall recommend for me to swap to front discs and run 15s without killing my budget
Well, you don't really need the 5-leaf with Traction Masters™, the real ones, not the only slightly cheaper fakes.

The tubs would be a real can of worms, especially on a budget.

The stock 65-66 disc brakes will go onto your stock spindles in an afternoon, and will be easy and inexpensive to maintain.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 PM
countryboy116
2nd Gear Member

so i should just be lookin for a set of 65-66 disc brakes, theyll fit my 68 no problem? i guess its time to search ebay, not many junkyards around here have classic mustangs, what other suspension parts should i be lookin to get to make the car have better weight transfer? also ive heard something about rolling the lip of the quarter to fit a wider tire, i dont need a rediculously wide tire but maybe something in the 9.5"-10" range for width, maybe i can get away with just massaging the quarters a little bit?